1991 Tequesta Help...

Should the Tequesta be left original or be updated?

• Original?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Updated?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RallyMarshal

Dirt Disciple
Just bought a 1991 Tequesta in Purple Haze for the wife. Its got a few scrapes etc as usual for an older bike but its is very original condition with no dents or major damage.

1991_Tequesta.jpg

Now Im in a quandary - didnt realise it was quite so original spec wise - its got Suntour XCE and X1 componentry. Nothing special I know but as its so original (even down to the Ritchey Megabite tyres which I believe are OE) I dont know whether to keep it original and just clean it up or to do my first plan to update it with slightly later kit (LX / STX mix) and lighter stem / bars etc to make it more rideable for her.

So what do the Retrobike crowd think?

Tequesta_TripleTrac.jpg

Tequesta_Bars.jpg

Tequesta_Suntour_Chainset.jpg

Tequesta_Suntour_Mech.jpg

Paul..

Oooh nice!

Keep it as is if all works well enough. Take the reflectors off though.

I would upgrade to make it lighter, you want her to use it, and keep the front reflector as it will catch the straddle wire if the cable evers snaps, how good were these Tequesta's? I am getting a 1992 and they look cool IMHO.

i believe in fixies":1531ojd6 said:
Oooh nice!

Keep it as is if all works well enough. Take the reflectors off though.

Yes reflectors will be coming off..

Brakes are a little dodgy I must say. Might just be the brake blocks need changing for koolstops or similar and the cables changing / levers greasing etc but theyre really not good at the moment!

It has a U brake on the back - can these be as good as cantis with decent pads..?

Paul..

i would say both, upgrade the brakes, and also bars, stem etc, but keep the gearing and rest, try and keep it looking original with just some lighter bits on it

if shes more likely to enjoy it with the updates go for it and keep the old stuff in a box tucked away

I have a '92 splatter finish GT Timberline (model below the Tequesta I think) with U-brake, it's very good. Replace the cables, Koolstop Eagle pads and it'll stop rapidly. You'll probably find that the original pads are a bit solid - they'll be great for polishing your rims but crap for stopping. You might as well do the gear cables at the same time.

If you want her to enjoy riding, give it a few upgrades to make it comfier and easier for her.

As for the U brake, they are easy to set up and are very effective. The XT SLR on my Zaskar is fantastic.

Latest posts

Back