1991 Merlin Elevator rebuild

Fork looks super cheap ish on that beautiful bike - in my opinion.
I guess Marzocchis are kind of controversial at retrobike anyway. Hopefully it will live up to the expectations regarding performance. It definitely looks better to me than the RockShox Judy that preceded it on that bike. Maybe some of the decals will go later on.

Last edited:
I really love your build choices 😍

I have magura rim brakes on my 96 RM Vertex I think they are one of the best feeling rim brakes ever.

Can I suggest considering trying these type of adapters as an option to remove those pesky tie wraps holding the rear brake hosing in place?

I think I have some of the original SAFE hydraulic cable guides in a bag somewhere 😳

The rear wheel rim and hub were broken and had to be replaced. It turned out that the chain was slipping because of the hub. Most likely the star ratchets in the Hügi needed replacement and the hub needed a service. Unfortunately, I had the german version of the hub prior to DT Swiss stepping in that hardly anybody wants to touch.

IMG_5092.jpeg

The Mavic rim has cracks all along in the same way as these rims have always died on me.

IMG_5132.jpeg

Finding a 117 SUP Ceramic in NOS turned out to be hopeless. Plus it would have been kind of silly to put back in the same rim that broke so many times before on this bike. I had a new rear wheel built by the guys at Whizz Wheels (german wheel builders and DT Swiss service point). They had a NOS Magura Gustav M hub available (made by DT Swiss and pretty much like a DT Hügi '9:cool: and built a new wheel with the Magura hub and a DT Swiss 535 rim. The rim is the only part that isn't time correct on this bike but I couldn't care less :LOL:

IMG_5135.jpeg
IMG_5136.jpeg

Latest posts

Back