1991 Kona Cinder Cone - Refresh

You’re right, I should really use a larger frame. But too much sentimental attachment to this one. I want to keep riding it as long as possible.
In saying that, if anyone has a large Explosif, Hot or Brodie frame spare, please let me know 😁

Last edited:
How tall are you JCS?
I’m 5.10 with 31” inside leg and ride 19” konas which theoretically is correct for me. My aging back reminds me otherwise 🤔😂

This one is still getting a lot of use even though the Explosif joined the fleet. Various family members love riding it.

It's back on the Panaracer Pasela's for a bit more speed and flat bars have replaced the riser bars.

The cover of the Flite (1993 model) saddle has started to disintegrate, so for now a different saddle is fitted. It's a no-name brand but is very comfortable.

If anyone has a spare dog collar (the plastic brake cable guide on the seat tube) please let me know - I need a replacement.

1700025198254.png

1700023247963.png

1700023344092.png

Last edited:
Looking through a copy of MBUK from 1990/1991 the other day, I found this. Haven't seen this advert for decades but I remember it making an impression. Cool ad, cool rider, cool bike.

That front brake set-up though... I couldn't live with a straddle cable that high... and that front wheel QR looks a bit loose...

1721822426979.png

I remember reading this review in MBUK in December 1989 and deciding that I wanted a Kona

View attachment 871023
Seeing that splatter paint range and the green Explosif and the Joe Murray connection at Denton cycles for the first time made me fall in love with Kona bikes and all these years later i still love them. One day i'll own one of my dream Konas a 93 Hei Hei 😁

Reactions: JCS
Back