1990 Specialized Rock Hopper Resurrection

Since I didn't want to polish the cranks to a high gloss, I simply cleaned them of all grease with chain cleaner,
12.jpg
then sanded them with 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper and finally polished them with metal polish.
EWANTO_de__L15406__Ahrenshof__7429fYKDmRDaS8sF7.png
They are now satin to slightly shiny and still have some scratches. But in my opinion, that fits in with the overall picture.

Today it finally continues. The first thing I noticed was that I have to do the rust treatment again because I haven't achieved the desired effect yet.
IMG_20230125_194351.jpg
Then I'm going to work on the rear derailleur and the front derailleur.
IMG_20230125_193111.jpg

View attachment 707452
Inspiring work, thank you. I just got this rockhopper and have done a light clean and polish in the way you recommended. It has come up looking great with the Billy Bonkers on too.

Next step - the handlebars. Thanks for the tips.
Congratulations! The bike looks like it just came out of the shop and the colour is really nice.
I'm glad that my tips helped.
The Billy Bonkers look really good on the bike. I think that's a great tyre. Low rolling resistance, great performance in light terrain, tolerable weight even for the cheaper versions and a reasonable price. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get here at the moment.

I'll try to do something more on mine tomorrow evening. There's been a lot going on here the last few days.

It's starting to look like a bicycle again.
IMG_20230215_202412.jpg
The wheels are freshly centred, bearings greased and everything runs smoothly again. The rear brake was more difficult to adjust than I thought, but now I'm happy with it. Now the rest of the wiring gets done and then she's ready.

Back