1990 Kona Cinder Cone (Splatter paint) bike project

Rubberduck

Retro Newbie
Hi All

Just dragged my old Kona Cinder Cone from my Mum's garage today and I'm looking to get it up and running again.
As this is my first bike project I'm looking for some advice on the paint work and decals. Unfortunately, the frame and forks have quite a few rust spots all over them. I was considering getting it stripped and powder coated white and then applying the splatters myself. However, I didn't want to do this if I wasn't able to replace the old decals. Any advice on painting and stickers would be great.

I am also missing a front brake and the rear brakes and mech. Any ideas on locating the correct parts would be great again. Cheers.

Re:

Hi and welcome to RB

You've come to the right place for info, help and sound advise on all things Kona...although the latter would be better from others :oops:

Gil on here makes top notch replacments (see draft art work below) will PM you his details

as for paint.. post a picture, unless its trashed there's nothing wrong with a few battle scars and a bit of patina :D
I'm sure you'll have plenty of ideas coming your way from those who've done there own splatter over a fresh coat of white,

is yours a Shimano or Suntour (like mine below) build, if you want parts put a post up in the "Wanted" section, most members on here have way tooo many parts squirrelled away

in the mean time check out a few other posts like these two below or just pop Splatter Paint in the search box :D
viewtopic.php?t=144376 or viewtopic.php?t=130194

all the best

Nick

Attachments

• cinder%20cone%20clean.jpg
    cinder%20cone%20clean.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 698
  • '90 Cinder Cone.jpg
    '90 Cinder Cone.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 698
Re:

Hi Retro Spud,

Thanks for the info. The stickers look first class! Do you know roughly how much Gil charges for his stickers?

My Kona is a Suntour XCD one like yours with xpress shifters. Your bike looks fantastic! I hope I can salvage this one as it was my first mountain bike which I got when I was about 14.

Cheers

Russell

Re:

Hi Russell

not sure on the price as I only wanted the Velocity decal for the stem, and he makes them to order so you don't have to buy the entire sheet........... drop him a email

as for brakes you'll need the Pedersons self energising rear and standard front which will be harder to find compared to an offering from Shimano

pity these bad boys are Black
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/suntour-xc-+-se-(self-energising)-cantilever-brake-set-front-and-rear-prod18982/

if I'm honest Cindercones aren't really worth investing big bucks into but like me you'll be doing it for personal (and best) reasons.. that said they don't look out of place when in the company of others :D anyway enough of me hijacking your post..get and contact Gil and then post some pictures up of your :D

Attachments

• kona.jpg
    kona.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 662
  • hiding splatter.jpg
    hiding splatter.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 662
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Rubberduck":3uanxdc7 said:
I'll do that. Thanks again.

I've just found these brakes on e-bay. They look like what was on it, what do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Sunto ... 43d253e052

thats the Kiddies.... logo's are in great shape, mine have been polished almost out in places, a real good clean and some Solvol and they'll look ten times better, great price as well... won't be around long so don't um and Ahh if you want them you'd better pull the trigger tonight

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back