1990 Koga Miyata -'SkyRunner --- Almost , Pg 3 update

Re: 1990 Koga Miyata -'SkyRunner

These carbon Miyata/Kogas are so cool. Such a fun build.

very classy set up, that'll be the mutts nutts when it's done.
Props most certainly due

Re:

As I've got time off work, it's give me some much needed build time :)

Coming along nicely, I think :) , thanks for the kind words and encouragement ;)

I don't know whether original or period correct is your goal, but an easy thing you could do is replacing the allen crank bolts for the traditional ones. They're not expensive or hard to find. The allen type arrived several years later.

Re: Re:

Mr Universe":1zxrs3rt said:
:D :D Thanks everyone for their kind comments , it's indeed not going to be a lightweight build , but I can live with that, this frame when built was hand built and to last a good day in the saddle old school style :)

Back in 1994 or so Koga cleaned old stocks. Among the frames a lbs offered were multiple TerraRunners Carbolite. Pretty much your frame, but with steel tail. A friend, a trail rider used the to perform tricks with Zaskars, bought one. He didn't manage to break his 16.5 inch TRC. They are robust frames. Nevertheless, after a while he decided to switch to the smaller and more nimble Zaskar again.

Re:

Thanks Elev12k. :)

I don't know whether original or period correct is your goal, but an easy thing you could do is replacing the allen crank bolts for the traditional ones. They're not expensive or hard to find. The allen type arrived several years later

I'm aiming for the finished build to be certainly period correct, albeit not Original Catalog nut and bolt perfect.

I shall be replacing the newer Allen key crank fixing bolts as in my picture with the correct bolts and dust caps :) , I'm still undecided if to source a black Xt chainset , as catalog , personally I prefer the silver currently, comments?

Some of the original component choices as per catalog build will be substituted for my own , for example, the Xt thumbshifters will stay as I don't particularly like the underbar shifters ,

The Syncros stem will stay ,good because of the connection between Koga and Syncros and imho the pro vapour stem as per catalog looks to skinny for this frame.

I was also going to fit a Syncros handlebar to compliment, but I like the absorbing effects of a titanium handlebar, so the Titec bar, even though not quite period, for now will stay, may try and source a Syncros titanium one :?

The rear derailleur , ideally should be a long caged Xt version, however I'm only running a max 7speed 28t cassette, so the shorter snappier changing version can stay,.plus their is less to hit on rocks and such like :)

Nearly everything else I'm aiming towards catalog build, the 2mm brake cables, San Marco saddle, tyres etc should all be present on he finished build .. Hopefully :)

Which brings me onto this.

Back in 1994 or so Koga cleaned old stocks. Among the frames a lbs offered were multiple TerraRunners Carbolite. Pretty much your frame, but with steel tail. A friend, a trail rider used the to perform tricks with Zaskars, bought one. He didn't manage to break his 16.5 inch TRC. They are robust frames. Nevertheless, after a while he decided to switch to the smaller and more nimble Zaskar again.

A steel rear tail section :shock: this frame would stand a Nuclear strike with the current alloy rear end :shock: , it's amazing build quality for the year.

As soon as I pulled this frame out of the box , I knew this was not going to be a race weight bike, or as lively but I'm quite happy about that, I'm so looking foward to completing this one :)

Hell! I may even put a rack on the back so I can go fishing... :shock:

Re:

Looking great Ian! One of the best looking mtb´s of that year.
I saw the black XT cranks on it; I needed them for my Rascal :facepalm:
On this bike I´d go with silver. Nice to see the Syncros stem on it.
Good luck building it up :cool: :cool:

Back