1990 16" Kona Cinder Cone. Mixture of fun parts.

i like this lots matey, very individual & not just your average white kona... (although there are some very nice ones out there and i toyed with the idea of spraying mine white....)
I had a big problem with brake judder on my lava dome with my onza canti's. i've helped it a lot by using a fork-mounted cable stop rather than the one on the stem... but this doesn't really help you does it?
when i was using my lava dome back in't day, i did put some original xt v's on but didn't have an issue with judder. is there much play between the arms on the mounts?

Cheers :D .

A lot of the judder went, the crown race on the fork had another 1mm to drop and did so after a bit of persuasion and problem solved.

The Tektro V's have quite a bit of play in them so it was amplified when the headset was on the cack.

The only changes I might make are removing the purple from the bars and get her indoors to give the cooker a once over. :cool:

Gave the purple bars the oven cleaner, 400 grit, 800 grit and some T Cut to give them a near mirror finish.

Attachments

• DSCF6126.jpg
    DSCF6126.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 4,975
re:

I must say I quite like it. the cable routing could probarly be done in another way, but it's probarly functional. I like the fact of taking old bikes and make them actually rideable...

Update.

I've ditched the Tekro Brakes in favour of the NOS LX cantilevers that have been floating about since V-brakes became a must have.

Found some tatty Dia-Compe PC-5's in the shed that I'd got in a swap for something with a bloke at school about 17 years ago. Polished them up and made some new decals for them in Illustrator.

Fitted a zoom cable hanger that I had hanging around and gave the Icon stem a mirror finish with wet and dry and T-Cut original.

Attachments

• newwwwwrr.jpg
    newwwwwrr.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,484
Other pictures

Attachments

• newww.jpg
    newww.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 2,483
  • newwwebike.jpg
    newwwebike.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,483
  • newwwww.jpg
    newwwww.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,483
  • newwwwwer.jpg
    newwwwwer.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,483
Nice unique bike you have there - there should be more of this :cool:

..........in fact get it in for BOTM :D

I'd do something about them if they didn't shift perfectly, instantly and didn't weigh much.

I jumped out of bed on Thursday and had to ride it before even taking a shower and brushing my teeth, that's what its all about, reliving a period that should be appreciated.

I've got an 1991 Alivio chainset a 95 STX chainset and did buy an XT M739 chainset but thought nah, if it's not broke don't fix it. I don't remember shifting ever being quite this slick.

Today I got a red ano crud claw and and some white heat-shrink to stop cable rub on the top tube. Fitted and it looks like a brand new bike with the exception of the black on the rims having worn through slightly.

I love the thing, properly solid and quick despite the mud/rock only tyres.

Back