1989 Stumpjumper Epic

Real Epic '89

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have a Stumpjumper Epic from 1989. This one i use for 5 years in competition.

My question is if there is any information on this frame (set)? I want to get the original parts, but i don't have the information to buy parts and build up again.

Any information is useful for me.

The only information i have is from Mombats.

welcome....there is a whole world of info right here....start with the archive catalogue, any direct questions then just post them up.... :D

Hi, This is the only information i have. No catalogus or competition drivers on this frame. The frame Paul uses on Mombats is one with Canti and no U brake. I don't think this is (exept Mombats) the only one left. There are more of this type in the world. But on the Internet i can't find more drivers or more information. (only a purple one in the Netherlands) I think this is the first carbon Specialized epic mtb

Real Epic '89":bzts8o3l said:
Hi, This is the only information i have. No catalogus or competition drivers on this frame. The frame Paul uses on Mombats is one with Canti and no U brake. I don't think this is (exept Mombats) the only one left. There are more of this type in the world. But on the Internet i can't find more drivers or more information. (only a purple one in the Netherlands) I think this is the first carbon Specialized epic mtb

friend of mine has 4 of that type Epic (with the U-brake) think one is original spec (ex-team bike) He's on holiday now, will check out the specs when he's back,
Cheers Roy

1989 Stumpjumper Info

Hi, The Specialized Catalogue 1989 don't talk about this frame set. The first one with U-brake is in the 1990 Catalogue but this decals are the new style with the modern Specialized letters. This one have the same decals as the 1989 Team or Comp. The Mombat site give a small overview with the type every year. The 1989 Epic have a XT groep and 4 finger brakes.

Can i find some pictures on the internet? I search a lot on the net but i can't find another one of them.

Thank you so far for this information. For me it is not only a retro bike but the first competition i buy in 1990. I had a very good time on it.

1989 Stumpjumper Info

For now i don't no what to do. Put old parts on it or make a modern retro racer and use it again? (Middleburn 28-42t, Paul brakes and 10sp Red/ Force brakes on a roadbar) :?:

the bike listed above is mine. i've been looking all over for stock photos of the 89 epic, but for some reason there's nothing out there. i'm going to be rebuilding mine, and i'm not going to stick to stock parts, but the info would be nice.

Back