1989 Raleigh Appalachian

Acei

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I've owned a 1989 Raleigh Appalacian from new. It has been lying idle for the past 13 years and I want to get it back in action. Any suggestions as to what I need to address will be much appreciated.

I'll post pictures shortly.

Cheers,

Ken.

Welcome to the site, looks pretty good to me already :cool: looks in very good and near original condition, loving the smokes :cool:

If you say it's not been ridden for a while then personally I would give it a good service and Heath check, check drive train for any seized links and corrosion , a fresh set of cables will do the world of good on any bike. But most importanatly I would check the tyres for any sign of degradation / cracking and also the brake blocks for signs of wear and cracking. If in any doubt replace these items and you should be good for a few more years :cool:

Thanks. Yes, I intend doing the tyres, tubes and cables. The bike has about 20k miles on it even though it hasn't been used in some time. The cassette or chain have never been changed. Not something I need to rush in to, but will do it in the medium term.

In terms of the groupset. I thought the top Shimano MTB groupset was on the Appalacian. I had a recollection it was the Deore XT. However, it's obviously Deore. Was XT around at that time and was it better?

Maybe I'm confusing myself as it was possibly the top Shimano groupset available on a Raleigh bike at the time.

I'll post a few "after" shots when I get working on it over the next couple of weeks.

Acei":369n1h2n said:
Thanks. Yes, I intend doing the tyres, tubes and cables. The bike has about 20k miles on it even though it hasn't been used in some time. The cassette or chain have never been changed. Not something I need to rush in to, but will do it in the medium term.

In terms of the groupset. I thought the top Shimano MTB groupset was on the Appalacian. I had a recollection it was the Deore XT. However, it's obviously Deore. Was XT around at that time and was it better?

Maybe I'm confusing myself as it was possibly the top Shimano groupset available on a Raleigh bike at the time.

I'll post a few "after" shots when I get working on it over the next couple of weeks.

Well used and well look after then :cool: , the old raleighs were bombproof and made to last.

If you have never changed cassette chain or chainrings in 20k then if you replace 1 you will have to replace all 3 as they wear in harmony, for example a new chain will slip annoyingly if you leave cassette and chainrings in a worn state. Try it as it is and maybe just some lube will help.

Your groupset is Derore II (my personal fav) and XT was top of the line up then as found on the Raleigh Avanti, advantages over Deore II were better seals on certain parts, alloy thumbshifter mounts , lighter weight mechs slightly better chainrings in terms of quality , generally more shiney, lighter weight and with XT stamped on everything :LOL:

I look forward in seeing it back on the off road :)

Did a bit of work on her today. I'll post some pictures shortly.

The tyres seem perfect. I gave them a good once over and there are no signs of cracks or bulges. I pumped them up to 60 psi and they are holding well. The brake blocks are also very good. No signs of cracking either and plenty of ware left. I'll give them both a go.

I spent a few hours today degrasing the chain, cassette and chainrings. I washed them down well and then re-greased with silicone grease. They came up well.

The brakes and gears appear to be working well, but a cable change is definitely on the cards soon as it hasn't been done since the bike was bought new in 1989.

I'll take her for a short ride in the next couple of days to ensure that all is working as it should.

I'm genuinely surprised as to how well she held up over the last 13 years on no use whatsoever. I guess being stored indoors has helped considerably.

My cousin used to ride one of these, I was well jealous at the time! That lovely 'swan neck' stem and thumbies in particular :LOL:

Great to see one getting some use (or about to at least) :cool:

Back