1989 Muddy Fox Pathfinder

Love this bike, and with the accessories - including the wheel disc! 😍
It's not an '89 though - it's one up from my Adventurer in the 1990 line up 👍

Yes, that's a 1990 XC-T groupset. Too late, but with SunTour Accushift Plus (1990-1991) there are two ways to keep the old components and get the index to work:

1 - Keep the Accushift cogs and use exclusively a SunTour Accushift Plus chain. any other chain will not be picked up by the cogs upon downshifting. Accushift Plus was about the flaring at the outer liks of the chain, the cog teeth just have a bit of a chamfering on the inborard face to clutch on that flaring.
2- If an AP chain can't be used, get a shimano compatible rear hub and use a 7S HG cassette. It will be a bit off in the two smaller cogs (SunTour had a 3,3 mm spacer between the 2nd and 3rd) but it will shift fine nonetheless.

Of course the shifters have to be 7 S SunTour. AP was a bigger pull ratio (tallest in the industry) that made the lateral movement or teh rear mech very fast but was very sensitive to any misallignment or cable rub.

Hope that helps

just as an update to this bike, this thing rips
with a longer chain i fixed a lot of the problems i had with the highest gear clicking, there was just too few links on the old chain
the wheel disc hardware i replaced with license plate screws, its just more plastic nuts and bolts but theyre doable with fingers instead of tools which destroy them
ended up not going with cantis, i like linear pulls, nor did i paint the bars, the carbon weave looks weird but i rarely ride this bike because it doesnt fit me
its a fun ride, its faster than anything else i have, in the future i want to replace the tires with something a little thinner
View attachment 886733

a lot of people have asked me about it, because as mentioned we dont have these in the US, so i run into other bike people who have no idea what it is but recognize the type of bike it is
The paint job is awesome as is but the accessories just set it apart right into a different league.
An incredible bike and sadly a journey and a half for you, I wish you many happy and safe miles on it

Back