1988 Rocky Mountain Avalanche

cdngrimpeur

Old School Hero
Hello -

This is my thick-and-thin bike, my 88 Avalanche. I have had it since it was new. Fits me like a glove. It is one of 5 Rockys I own, it's a bit of an addiction, really.[/img]

Attachments

• jsav.jpg
    jsav.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,692
Not much is original on this bike...seatpost, stem, u-brake and ratty old saddle. Everything else was upgraded or wore out. Except for the original crankset - some gorilla with a wrench overtightened the bolts and messed that up :x

It originally came with Shimano 105 headset and hubs. Within a yr or so, the lower headset cup cracked unbeknownst to me with the resultant effect that I managed to ream out the bottom of the head tube - had to have a bead of nickel brazed in to repair that.

It cracked (on the back of the seat tube, about halfway between the seat stays and the chain stays) in 1990 and had to go back to the factory :( but it was newly painted and straight when I got it back :D They were out of the original stickers, too, bit of a bummer.

It is made of sort of mid-grade Tange 4130 CrMo, and while it fits me perfectly, it is a relative energy sponge on the climbs. But in the tight and technical, I'm in the zone on this one.

Rocky replaced the Avalanche with the Equipe in 1990, I think. GT had the rights to Avalanche in the US, seems to me.

Here is her uglier side - the side I lean it on and put toward bike racks.

Attachments

• avreverse.jpg
    avreverse.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,629
  • avseattube.jpg
    avseattube.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,629
Back