1988 Brodie Romax

We both agreed to avoid a full chainstay replacement, he feels confident a repair can be made which will avoid this. I’d rather try this first and if eventually the full stay needed replacing so be it. The fillet brazing on this frame is a work of art and I want the chainstay saved if at all possible.

What a great bike! I just can agree to your plan. Although its not quite as worn as your chain stay, a repair job worked for mine... (thread in german here)

2683905-qqobb3zpynmx-gridart_20221102_164750034-large.jpg

2683904-5f7jqwbs1ju8-gridart_20221102_164455987-large.jpg

2683906-493xyy9zswoz-pxl_20221004_0639108252-large.jpg

2703128-s70boru00esd-gridart_20230126_223234296-large.jpg

Last edited:
What a battle scarred beauty. That paint scheme is so cool it would be a shame to strip it if a clean/repair and touch up could be done. I'd be tempted to repair the chain stay and wrap in hockey tape then touch up the worse sections and leave some of the patina. Certainly as a first step. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Th
What a battle scarred beauty. That paint scheme is so cool it would be a shame to strip it if a clean/repair and touch up could be done. I'd be tempted to repair the chain stay and wrap in hockey tape then touch up the worse sections and leave some of the patina. Certainly as a first step. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks Kevin, it’s been a dilemma. Much of the paint is too far gone to leave as is even with touch ups (for me especially lol), I love original paint and would have done a sympathetic resto if it made sense to me. My other dilemma is the desire to make the build my own.

My hypothetical dream romax build for many years has been a full red frame/fork to line up with the first romax I saw in Calgary BITD (88’ maybe?). That bike knocked my socks off, I knew my high end bikes back then but I’d never seen such a beauty before that day.

I have many opinions to contend with in my inner circle including my son lol which favor keeping things as is but have made a decision which is a full repaint. As much as I like this red/yellow fade it’s not really my thing. I plan on a full red frame/fork to line up with my bucket list build for a romax. Initially my plan was white decals. Pretty typical right?

While driving to Jimbos yesterday to pick up white decals it occurred to me, how about yellow decals?? Maybe even yellow stem decals? It was a huge benefit that my passenger for the drive was helpful steering the thought process 😁

For me this kind of lines up more with the OG color scheme than red with white (the red I will use for the repaint will be as close to the original as I can find) and I think it will have a bit more flair compared to white decals 😃

I’m no photoshop expert but can cobble together a decent mock up using MS Paint, this is the plan as of today 😉 (note the solid color red fork and headtube were the best I could muster 😅)

01.jpeg

Also considering to color match the stem but really like the black stem with the yellow decals 😎

Pretty sure this is the plan now👍🏻

your passenger with you to get decals sounds like a smart man. you should also
listen to him regarding keeping and touching up the original paint. :)

possibly leave it original paint for a season. who knows it might grow on you.
can always repaint. what do others think?

your passenger with you to get decals sounds like a smart man. you should also
listen to him regarding keeping and touching up the original paint. :)

possibly leave it original paint for a season. who knows it might grow on you.
can always repaint. what do others think?
Not a bad plan Roy. One thing you can be sure of is with all the F&F @Canuckbiker does with his bikes (fettling & finessing!) the spec will have completely changed by then! 🤣😜

Jeez, talk about yer peer pressure 😂 😜

Kinda the reason I put it out there I guess right?!

I'm gonna give Roy's suggestion a go :)

I agree I need to at least give the OG paint scheme a try, doesn't mean I'll leave the paint all beat up though for sure I'll replace the decals 😁

Now should I leave the "brodie" on the top tube or place it on the downtube 🤔

Can always change the paint later 👍

I’m sure you’ve got or have seen this? A good history of your frame!
In the event you repaint where would you go? At that point in a restoration right now and not sure who the local options for a paint job are…

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 20
I’m sure you’ve got or have seen this? A good history of your frame!
In the event you repaint where would you go? At that point in a restoration right now and not sure who the local options for a paint job are…
Yes! I great piece of background, was still taped to the top tube 😁

I always do my own paint, for better or for worse.

Back