1988 Bradbury Manitou (finished pics page 12!)

Re: 1988 Bradbury Manitou restoration (reunited 25 years later)

Thanks for all the props and support, keeps me motivated (and from cutting corners!).

I've been really excited to put a pair of Bullseye cranks on this bike, but when cleaning and prepping I discovered that the bottom bracket bearings are shot to hell, so much play its unbelievable! I don't know how the previous owner even used them to the state they are in. So, back to the drawing board. These cranks are not compatible with anything else that I know of, and it seems that Bullseye no longer exists(?), though some people seem to have access to NOS. I have seen Desperado Cycles makes a shim that allows you to use an external cup (Dura-Ace, Phil Wood) b.b., but I'm not sure about going that route. Might have to go with another crankset for now (boring!)...

I'm also a little concerned about the degree of deflection of the seatpost quick release tabs when it is tight. Seems a little extreme, or perhaps I am just being paranoid. I am 99.87% certain I have the right seatpost diameter (26.8mm)...

Re:

Have your machinist friend skim .2mm off the axle of the bullseyes. That will take it down to 22mm which will then allow you to use all manner of vintage looking 22mm Euro BMX bottom brackets:

BC83DE2E-B959-4ABB-A574-7587B00E18EA_zpsvyawxk7a.jpg

Thanks Pete! I had read about that, it just seemed a bit dodgy. But if you have had success with it, I may go that route. Is that a picture of your cranks? Did you repaint them yourself?

It's as safe as houses. I have it on two of my sets:

70A60C59-3E0C-4735-AF94-B1EAC7D388B9_zpsqjzqw0rn.jpg

0dbdb5d8.jpg

A number of people use it, especially when there isn't room to use external BBs or with push fit bearings (like the Pace above).
I currently have 6 or so sets of bullseyes, 2 with the 22mm axle, 3 with the shimmed external bb and one with the original (and, frankly shit, original bearings). I've even got a set on my 'modern' bike:

6B9E0CF4-55D1-486E-85A5-121BBD24EAF5_zpsmmyricjh.jpg

I always have bullseyes powdercoated as its the only paint that's strong enough to last (the only exception is the Pace, above). My local industrial estate has a powdercoated who does them for me for £5 a set when they are doing a black paint day

Okay thanks for that info! I'll have a talk with him and see what he can do. I have repainted my cranks with POR15, a self-levelling rust paint that's supposed to be pretty durable, we'll see how it holds up.

Funny too, looking at your pics, I just picked up a 1990 Pro-Flex 950 for parts for the Manitou build, looks just like yours (okay nothing like yours with the work you have put into it) but grey w green rear triangle. Elastomers are shot of course, but everything on it is original as far as I can tell. Not sure what to do with it, what have I gotten myself in to???

Attachments

• 1991 Proflex 950.jpg
    1991 Proflex 950.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 777

It's a slippery slope! Stay the course on the Manitou then do the Offroad.

It's a slippery slope....

...a parts bike will become a frame that you want to build up so you'll buy another parts bike and it goes on and on:

CA129453-EA23-4387-B10D-7CD952483F44_zpsgscd1t9a.jpg

Oh and here's one of my earlier bikes that you might like:

7c6cb424.png

An original, pre-Answer Bradbury full suspension which shares a load of your bikes features but without the pure cool of your bike.

Yeah that is one sexy bike Pete, love the all-black (or nearly so) build, and the tires look great even if non-retro. Those forks are still my all-time favourites visually!

The Ringle q/rs look perfect on this bike...

Back