1987 Brodie ROMAX.... Update!!!... well... Minor Update

So... minor Update... The frame is on hold as I need to figure out to best way to deal with the peeling clearcoat / stickers. Yes... I will be leaving the original paint... but something has to be done about the decals ect... it's on hold for the moment.. The original paint will remain but need to figure out how to make it look nicer without disturbing it...
I have slowly been collecting parts.. please do make any suggestions...

Possible build plan:

HS: Chris King no logo first gen (tall cups)
stem: original brodie custom (no... it's not a syncros)
fork: original brodie custom
bar: black Ritchey
Seatpost: Syncros (looking for 27.2 first gen if anyone has one? this one is too new)
seat: black turbo
Hoops: Mavic 261 (or something of the sort... missing one hoop)
Hubs: Phil
front / rear mech: M730
shifters: m730
brake levers: black M730
front brake: black M730
rear brake: Suntour XC roller cam

Not sure about the crank... I have an old cooks CQP in my for sale thread I could use?? M730 in silver or black just seems too plain... Any suggestions on this??

Any input would be great on this build... nothing is set in stone so any suggestions are great!

Attachments

• image_5.png
    image_5.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 498
  • image_3.png
    image_3.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 498
  • image_6.png
    image_6.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 498
  • image_2.png
    image_2.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 498
  • image_1.png
    image_1.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 499
  • image.png
    image.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 499
  • image_7.png
    image_7.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 499
  • image_8.png
    image_8.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 498
Re:

I really like this Romax of yours...I have the RM cousin...I think they belong together. It's even my size.

15950039882_1626305ca7_o.jpg

15950029552_1788ff0908_o.jpg

How about I keep pilling up the ante to trade until you say yes? They'll be your size, too.

=) Nice! never heard of a rocky mountain custom... brodie gator too... looks similar to a 1992 vertex

Re: Re:

BC":37o7t9mx said:
I really like this Romax of yours...I have the RM cousin...I think they belong together. It's even my size.

15950029552_1788ff0908_o.jpg

How about I keep pilling up the ante to trade until you say yes? They'll be your size, too.
WHOA!!!! the custom finally makes an appearance. :shock:
be sure and start your own thread on this cool ride so it doesn't get
lost in this one. you can tell the whole story then. :cool:
the custom is going to be a big hit at harald's in may.

Woah, those Phil Wood hubs will look great. Really like the Canadian flag feature on the stem.
Good look with the build :D .

Retro_Roy":3mgimwa0 said:
WHOA!!!! the custom finally makes an appearance. :shock:
be sure and start your own thread on this cool ride so it doesn't get
lost in this one. you can tell the whole story then. :cool:
the custom is going to be a big hit at harald's in may.

I really didn't want it floating around in google image search but said "ah phuck it" last night with my after dinner tequila lol.

"Custom" was put aside for custom builds. It went mostly onto custom road bikes or various team members and other one-off's.

retroyetiguy":2t08y3sj said:
Woah, those Phil Wood hubs will look great. Really like the Canadian flag feature on the stem.
Good look with the build :D .

Thanks =)

this one will take a long time to finish... slowly collecting parts as I want to do it right

I cleaned up the Cooks CQP crank arms... just working on chainrings now...

I'm thinking black shimano...

Looks very similar to my 1992 Vertex... I spoke with the guy at Rocky (still there) who welded my frame up, he said that the vertex was very very low production, my guess your custom is also in the 1992 ballpark? prob made around the same time based on style... have you had it since new by any chance?

just comparing the two QUITE close... my headtube has less overlap above top tube and below down tube... but that's because it was faced off... quite a bit actually... used to be like yours... was probably the same actually...

Attachments

• file-11.jpg
    file-11.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 427
Update... Here's the crank I was thinking of using... Thoughts???

It's either this or a Race Face I-Beam...

The cooks just seems right for the era...

(middle chainring will need to be replaced... and I'll need a couple more granny bolts too... ;) )

Attachments

• photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    122 KB · Views: 415
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    120.9 KB · Views: 414
Back