1986 MBK Hi Tech

Ballyc

Retro Newbie
My 1986 MBK needs around £150 to get it back on the road
I only ever use it for occasional road spins
Should I restore it or just spend an extra £100 and buy a new bike ?

The way to look at it is the £250 going to buy a new bike that will ride as well as your MBK, also just curious what is needed for it to costv£150

Unless the parts are something very particular the gals and guys on here may be able to help with parts

It's usually cheaper to repair what you have rather than buy new.

It's also environmentally preferable as you are buying a lot less "stuff" and paying more on labour.

The parts that are fitted will be better quality than found on a cheap bike.

Usable new bikes start a bit over 400 to get reliable bearings and working parts, and a degree of corrosion resistance.

If repairing, service components like cables, brake blocks, chains and sprockets are best bought new, most other parts can be found second hand.

My 1986 MBK needs around £150 to get it back on the road
I only ever use it for occasional road spins
Should I restore it or just spend an extra £100 and buy a new bike ?
The uniglide freewheel has broken cogs so that's a new wheel chainset ,derailleur ect

The uniglide freewheel has broken cogs so that's a new wheel chainset ,derailleur ect
If it's just the cassette that's damaged then they can be replaced, no need to replaced derailleur, or wheel if there still servicable but will advise new chain

Pictures and more details of the 'repair' please.

Many bike shops are reluctant to work on older bikes as labour can knock any minor repair into a massive bill

A new screw on cassette / freewheel is about a tenner plus maybe half an hour labour to swap them over.

Many shop staff no longer recognise chain rings that have profiled teeth that enable smoother shifting and immediately assume they're worn

Unless really damaged, dérailleurs work for decades with only minor servicing, chain rings can last as long and even chains last years if looked after

Reactions: R-V
Shimano UG is a 6 or 7 speed cassette where the small sprocket screws onto the freehub, its not HG compatible.
Iirc UG doesn't have cut teeth for shifting, but they definitely break in a way that is rare with HG

If as @Ballyc says, the cassette is done for, reusing the wheel is hard if it's UG freehub body, as the compatible cassette is pretty scarce.
I saw one on ebay nos for £150🙄

We've probably got some sporty ones, no wide ratio for sure.

Later UG FHBs had the internal thread to take HG as well as UG, so you might be lucky - it's worth a look.
There are work- arounds but they are technical and need access to freehubs and axle spares etc.
Or bodgery!

Have you now removed the cassette?

Like above, pics of parts now would help.

Here is the original post with pics of the cassette -

Latest posts

Back