1986 MBK Hi Tech

This all smells a bit.

A swap from a uniglide freehub body to a hyperglide body is about an hour labour, I've converted many wheels over to the 8spd size freehub too so I can use old high quality wheels with later equipment

But without pictures there only speculation

Have you now removed the cassette?

Like above, pics of parts now would help.

Here is the original post with pics of the cassette -

This where shops can fail, an enthusiastic mechanic will have that fixed very quickly, go to another shop and its all voodoo

It's not economically viable in most shops.
If you've got to cost an hour's workshop time lat £50 to cover costs, you still need a freehub, axle spacers and a cassette, so that could be £100 to keep above the red line.

A screw on wheel and 6 speed freewheel would be around £60

You could swap out the freehub yourself though, used fhb, spacers, Hacksaw, new cassette, £40.

Post the pics here and someone will lead you through it no probs.

Modify that axle spacer!

For some reason, any length of steel sleeve c12mm i.d. 14mm o.d became mostly unavailable in around 2000 with the start of the collapse of general cycle wholesalers.

Us hoarders have a box full, but the only source seems to be dead hubs - or new weldtite axle assemblies 🤯

Of course a lathe would be better suited, but does add to the cost somewhat.

My 1986 MBK needs around £150 to get it back on the road
I only ever use it for occasional road spins
Should I restore it or just spend an extra £100 and buy a new bike ?
Thanks for replies. I have previously used two chain whips to split the the original uniglide, cleaned and reversed the sprockets but as there are teeth broken it was of no use. The chain is definitely stretched and the original front chainring has plenty of wear on it and the front derailleur is bent. I was taking a all or nothing approach. My information is that it's not possible to put a non uniglide freewheel on the original hub so that would be a new wheel and at least a new freewheel,chain, triple chainring,front derailleur.

If it's the one with the Klein-esque three-colour flouro paint it's worth saving at any price - though maybe that came a bit later - '88-ish, same year as my Tufftrax?

Back