1984 Raleigh USA Team Pro build

cchaven

Dirt Disciple
Here's a project I had started prior to getting the Gitane mixte. It's a 1984 Raleigh USA Team Pro frame set. It's serial number on the BB shows it was made in March 1984 in Nottingham for Raleigh USA and the catalogs of the period show it was a special order as a frame set only. This is the 555 RSL version marked as being Reynolds tubing, third in line behind the 531c and 753 frames.

I actually know a bit of the back story behind it. It was ordered new and built up with full Campy for a bike shop owner. He rode it for a while then when he passed away one of his employees was given the bike. It was too small for him so he removed the Campy and it hung up for a number of years before I purchased just the frame and forks.

Attachments

• 1984 Raleigh 555 RSL TeamPro.jpg
    1984 Raleigh 555 RSL TeamPro.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 500
Re:

Ok here's a pic of it with most parts added. Full Suntour GPX group with a Shimano 600 Ultegra headset in place of the Campy one shown in the other pic.

I've not decided yet on the color of the bar tape and the cable outers. I was thinking yellow cotton for the bar tape since the UK Raleigh bikes tended to have more yellow. Suggestions?

Excuse the overexposure of the pic...it was very sunny.

Attachments

• 1984 raleigh usa team with gpx.jpg
    1984 raleigh usa team with gpx.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 433
Back