1983 Raleigh Sprint

I have this frame. You'll be dealing with Raleigh's weirdo bottom bracket threading, no replacement parts exist for the cups, but you can use standard spindles.

Cone spanners work to screw in the side you took out. The fixed side is probably immovable, I know mine is.

If you're refitting the old fork, you'll need the old headset too. Weird threading.

Bats":2mz11ylx said:
I have this frame. You'll be dealing with Raleigh's weirdo bottom bracket threading, no replacement parts exist for the cups, but you can use standard spindles.
Cone spanners work to screw in the side you took out. The fixed side is probably immovable, I know mine is.
If you're refitting the old fork, you'll need the old headset too. Weird threading.

Thanks Bats. Apologies, as you have realised i am a bit of a noob when it comes to parts on bikes. I am learning though with the help of this forum.

Ok, lets start with the bottom bracket.. If i want to put a new set of pedals on this bike what are my options, i have the other "cup"? to put back on, or should i try and remove the one still on there and get something new, but i think you said the thread is not standard?

The fork.. I have the old head set, but you seem to imply if i wanted a new fork i would need a new headset? if that is the case what options do i have for forks? to save money i am thinking it would be better to put the old fork back on if that first option is expensive.

MKS Sylvan touring pedals are nice - good quality and great if you ride with regular shoes and they are inexpensive. Check Ebay if you cannot find them locally.

i would use the old fork and take them both to a lbs to get the threads certain and find out the seat post size.place an add in the wanted section you have the year .

hi, any help with this, the silence is deafening. :D

ok, i think i might just put this back to standard. things i need information on are the bottom bracket/crank/pedal set, i do not have the pedals or crank, all i have are the bottom bracket cups. would someone be able to say what i need to buy?
I will keeps the wheels and original forks.

i would get hold of some pics of early 80/s raleigh cranks,and trundle off to places like vintage bike cave.[or email them pics.] im certain they can help.
google cycle jumbles.there is a place near oxford its on a disused air base ,its a charity shipping off old
donated bikes to africa.they have about a thousand old bikes there and you can take off any bits you want every 2 weeks they are open.
you could try your local bike shops but dont be fobbed off into buying modern stuff.
good idea to keep it geared.

looking at the raleigh sprints i just googled,they have all got different cranks so sugino,sr
anything from that era.
i looked under 'vintage crank sets' if you had a single cottered , you could up grade.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 519
Back