1983 Raleigh Sprint

tim8v

Retro Newbie
I have dug my old Sprint from my parents garage and stripped it down completely with a view to restoring/modernising. There are some parts i have kept, others will need replacing.

For a start i will need new pedals and crank, as i have had to ditch those as the cotterpin was stuck so i ended up butchering the pedals to get to the crank.

So, i have a bare frame, my first issue is what do i look for, as i have no idea what sizes, names etc i need to search for as i am a complete novice in the art of building bikes but mostly the naming conventions and sizes. I will need wheels, hub, gear and front fork(?), seat and seat tube. I want to keep it as light as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated and i will think of more questions as i go.

Sorry forgot to say i want to make it single speed!!

Re: Raleigh Sprint

"hi this is my first post on cars.com. I just bought a ford that's a bit old but not old old. I want to do it up. hopefully this is enough information to you to help me".

Approximate age
specification
colour
frame size
frame tubing
wheel size (if unusual. (assuming you know what would count as being unusual.))
serial number

And most importantly, some pictures.

How are we supposed to help without being given any information on the bike?

If you don't have this information to give, how do you know you've made the right choice in the way you've stripped the bike?

I mean, you mention needing "wheels, hub, gear", and ambiguously a front fork. What you've just said is that you don't know hubs are included in the wheels, and that you don't know if you know if you have a fork.

You have to work with us, not against us here. It's like being asked for music recommendations, and going "what do you like?" and getting told "good music".

Re:

Ok, point taken, thank you. I am away for a few days but will post up as much info as I can.
I had assumed that the make and model would have answered most questions, but will get the info when I return.

The thing with Raleigh is that they're older than the sun and moon. They've reused names a lot over the years.

yeah looks like a great project,not sure about the single speed though . i mean why have one fixed gear
when you can have 6 x2 , flatish terrain i suppose.

Ok, bike is a 1983 Sprint, frame size is 23", white with red writing. Pictures later when i get home, i have the original receipt from when it was purchased and it cost £90 :)

Re:

Hi, wonder if someone could help. Here are a few pictures..first question is there a tool to remove the bottom bracket? i have removed one side with a flat bladed screwdriver with a bit of tapping from a hammer. The side that is left though does not seem to want to move.
I am getting the frame prepped for painting soon. More questions to follow..

Re:

Pictures..

Attachments

• IMAG0478.jpg
    IMAG0478.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 501
  • IMAG0481.jpg
    IMAG0481.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 501
  • IMAG0479.jpg
    IMAG0479.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 500