1980 Witcomb restoration

Lovely! I love a Witcomb.
Ben Serotta learnt his trade at Witcomb.
Barry repaired my old mtb frame. He was such a kind bloke. I used to love visiting that old mediaeval shop!
Yes, the whole US Craft bicycle scene owes its DNA to Witcomb. Weigle and Chris Chance (IIRC) also came through his workshop. The name is much better known over the other side of the pond (and of course Witcomb built locally in the US too).

Last edited:
Yes 531; there was a witness mark where the old transfer had been (as you saw from the 'before' photos the transfers had largely flaked off). The frame and forks are 1.8kg / 4lbs and it takes a 27.2 post. I was puzzled at first as it took a 27.0, then I realised it was due to distorted seatclamp lugs. The stays all fit the stock tube dimensions too.

Really chunky seat stays! I remember this being a 'trend' in the early/mid 70's as I had a Dave Russell with similar style seat cluster. I like the paint scheme.

Really chunky seat stays! I remember this being a 'trend' in the early/mid 70's as I had a Dave Russell with similar style seat cluster. I like the paint scheme.
Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. I imagine it was some kind of option as I have only seen a couple of other Witcombs like it. It carries a full Carradice saddlebag nicely, which may be due to the chunky stays.

Well, I got it finished and after a couple of local shakedown rides I did a big ride on Saturday, just under 60 miles over to @jonnyboy666 at his shop.
The purple is much deeper and less blue in real life, a nod to the lilac and black Witcomb racing colours.
53813046680_1a0cb7784f_b.jpg

53812852638_cdbb1dcb22_b.jpg

53812851963_97660c9c0a_b.jpg

53812943884_854bca0ed4_b.jpg

53812851798_ea20c31a8f_b.jpg

The bike is a light retromod, definitely a rider not wall art.
So it's fitted out with 1999 Campag Record, TA Alize Chainset (because the Q-factor is far lower than a Campag triple),
Campag 1996 Record/Ambrosio Excellence wheels, Conti GP5000 28mm and TPU tubes,
(The winter set is a Veloce/Chorus mix with Ambrosio Balance in lemon, Michelin Pro4 Endurance)
Tektro R559 brakes (originally a 27" wheel frame I suspect)
Tanget Levin headset, Cinelli 64 bars with Brooks tape (and another layer of old Profile tape underneath on the tops for comfort),
USE seatpost and San Marco Regal-e saddle
All up weight including pedals, mudguards and bottle cages is 22.7lbs / 10.3kg. So I suppose it could be brought down close to 20lbs / 9kg.

I'll be re-fitting the rack and dyno lights for the Dunwich Dymano next month.

Last edited:
hey @hamster i didn't realise that was you! thanks for the biscuits! and the bike did look good, thought you were way more local than 60 miles though!

Latest posts

Back