1979 Carlton Professional Mk.5 - restoration advice needed

AlexC1981

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I'm new to this hobby. I recently did some light restoration/recommissioning work to a Raleigh Equipe that I picked up very cheap as a bike that I could leave at the station without worrying about it getting stolen. I enjoyed tinkering with the Equipe so much that I've been on the lookout for another project.

I would really appreciate any advice you an give me regarding products, methods, tools and as well as replacement parts. I'm going to need to buy some proper bike tools. I have no experience removing bottom brackets or dismantling hubs etc. I dismantled the Sach-Huret derailers on my Equipe, cleaned up, greaced and reassembled, ditto for the brakes and replaced the cables, but that's about the limit of my experience.

53899194665_026e7daa9d_o.jpg

53897857547_e82e5141e0_o.jpg

It's a 1979 Carlton Professional Mk.5. They only sold this a frame rather than a complete bicycle. Reynold 531 forks, stays and butted tube frames. I bought it from a gent who owned it from new and raced competitively. He's modified it over the years and it has a mix of components from Italy, France, Spain and Japan from every decade 70s to 2000s! I'm going to keep the 70s/80s parts and replace the rest with period parts.

Bits I think I'll be keeping:

Campagnolo Record headset, pedals and toe clips.
Ofmega Competizion crank.
Zeus brakes (apparently made half decent Campagnolo style brakes).
Cinelli stem (not currently fitted).
The front wheel is Mavic with a Campagnolo hub.
I think the seat post is also Campagnolo.

The derailleurs and freewheel (or cassette?) are 90s Campagnolo and Shimano so they are going. I haven't decided what to replace them with yet, but I will probably keep it European to match the period parts. The handlebars and brakes are modern unbranded. I'll replace with a period drop down Cinelli bar to match the stem.

First thing I need to do is find out how best to clean the frame without damaging the decals.

The paint is pretty solid so I want to enhance and preserve where possible. On the Equipe I was happy to use a car paint touch up brush, but I want to do a better job with this, without going so far as a respray.

Thanks for reading.

Alex

Thank you. I was surprised there was only one other bidder on ebay, but perhaps people were put off by the straight handlebars and the more recent parts. One unusual thing I have noticed is that the detail on the lugs hasn't been painted. I can't see evidence of a respray and the seller said it hadn't been, so perhaps the lug paint was a factory option.

I'm still in research mode at the moment. I wasn't aware until doing some reading this morning that this chap won 1st at the 1979 British National Road Race and the Circuit Race Championships for the Carlton-Weinmann professional team on one of these. That makes it cooler in my eyes :)

53899062976_45878c70af_o.jpg

Looks sticky in there!

W – Worksop
A – January
9 – 1979
000045 - 45th frame.

53899481810_e4e223018c_o.jpg

The Moducel bike looks great! Nice to own something with a bit of history to it.

Thanks for providing those articles/ads. Very interesting to see how the bike was in its team spec. Are those Nuovo Record or Super Record derailleurs do you think? Cinelli giro d'italia handlebars would be a good match?

I'm going to give it a wash with warm water and Fairy liquid this morning and start dismantling it. I'm not sure how best to enhance the paintwork. I'm not looking for a factory finish. The bike is old and has been well used, but also well kept. I'd like the final appearance to reflect that to a degree.

How do I go about treating surface rust without damaging the surrounding paint finish and decals? I can get touch up paint colour matched and mixed at a local car paint supplier. Do you then T-Cut the whole frame? Do you then spray a lacquer/clear coat? Will it look patchy if I only lacquer over the parts I have touched up? Do you lacquer over the 531 sticker to preserve it?

Don't cut back the decals, if you do be very careful. Cut back all over on the paint. I don't lacquer, I just keep them well waxed. That said I don't ride the bikes with fragile paint in bad weather. I have others for that. You can see some of mine in the link.
Others will have different methods and its always worth looking at those too.

Wax would definitely be easier than lacquer and less risk of me messing it up. Which wax do you use?

Sadly, I don't think these dust caps will come out without getting destroyed.

53900467877_2d4e2a0df0_o.jpg

Back