1960s Reg Harris Campione

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Looonnnnnng time no post......haven't frequented this lovely place for a good few years now - recently had a reminder about it so thought I'd start a project thread for my latest project that I've picked up.

Got a message from a friend of mine about a Reg Harris bike for sale in Norfolk.....thinking Raleigh Lenton (or which I have a couple) I opened the ad to be confronted with a bike with an actual Reg Harris head badge and not a Raleigh.

Every day is a school day as the saying goes - I had no idea that 'ol Reg dipped a toe in the bike manufacturing business post-Raleigh association.

Picked it up at the weekend and I know very little about it or Reg's business exploits. I've attacked the green paint with some acetone and have managed to find the original colourway and the decals (all of which are available from HLloyds).

Initial plan is to clean off as much of the green as possible to see how bad the underlying powder blue / white paint is and then potentially touch in the paint with some localised repairs and then fresh decals.

Here it is as collected:

RITqudih.jpg

eACjYASh.jpg

5fEbsR8h.jpg

lFDhbt6h.jpg

9PPrK6Zh.jpg

Reg's premises were in Macclesfield but I don't know if the frames were made there or if they just built up bikes with frames from the trade. I remember adverts in the cycling press BITD listing the models and they looked quite classy at the time. I was given a RH frame by a friend some years ago which was 'passed on' at a jumble for a few quid. Here's the head badge in glorious technicolour -

RegHarrisHeadBadge.1.B.jpg

The frame wasn't anything special but it was nicely made and the finish was good. Perhaps they were bought in 'raw' and sprayed on site?

Reg's premises were in Macclesfield but I don't know if the frames were made there or if they just built up bikes with frames from the trade. I remember adverts in the cycling press BITD listing the models and they looked quite classy at the time. I was given a RH frame by a friend some years ago which was 'passed on' at a jumble for a few quid. Here's the head badge in glorious technicolour -

View attachment 882994

The frame wasn't anything special but it was nicely made and the finish was good. Perhaps they were bought in 'raw' and sprayed on site?
Ahh - good reference image that. I've managed to clean most of the green paint off my head badge but might need to touch in a few of the colours to freshen it up a bit.

I think you're right about them looking quite classy - now the green is coming off mine I can start to see the powder blue / white combo I think it would've looked great fresh from the factory in that colourway.

Started to carefully remove the green over paint with some acetone and nail varnish remover pads to discover the original colorway and remnants of the decals....

YnDxfnph.jpg

QizqTWBh.jpg

RnKDqOsh.jpg

Agd5mmMh.jpg

Followed by careful use of soap-filled brillo pads to cut through the tarnished lacquer to reveal the original powder blue and white panels.

Paint is really bad in places (to be expected), top tube is pretty bad but even in this state I think it looks 100x better.......

tmkIyp7.jpg

zE6xkcp.jpg

Next to find a replacement fork for it. All the ones I have "in stock" have steerers that are too short unfortunately.......

I've seen them original adverts for this, even in the same colour! Decal sets are available, are you going to paint it?

Looking closer at the seat cluster it appears to be a full wrap over style similar to Brian Rourke frames. This was introduced to BR frames by Mike (?!) Kowalski who was previously the Clive Stuart frame builder in the North (where Brian worked as shop manager) . As RG bikes were in Macclesfield then the thought of MK supplying frames is not out of the way. He also worked for Harry Hall in Cathedral Street Manchester. If it is an MK frame it will be a good one. You need to strip it right down and check the inside of the tubes to see if they are seamed and check its weight. This may give a clue as to the level of tubing used.

I've seen them original adverts for this, even in the same colour! Decal sets are available, are you going to paint it?
Yeah I saw that HLloyds have them for sale so might indulge in a set. Borrowed the Pantone book from work to see if I could get a reasonable match.......

ccpGjLMh.jpg

Looking closer at the seat cluster it appears to be a full wrap over style similar to Brian Rourke frames. This was introduced to BR frames by Mike (?!) Kowalski who was previously the Clive Stuart frame builder in the North (where Brian worked as shop manager) . As RG bikes were in Macclesfield then the thought of MK supplying frames is not out of the way. He also worked for Harry Hall in Cathedral Street Manchester. If it is an MK frame it will be a good one. You need to strip it right down and check the inside of the tubes to see if they are seamed and check its weight. This may give a clue as to the level of tubing used.
Seat stays are spearpoint rather than wrap over. Will have a full strip down and inspection at some point - mainly to get an idea on frame weight. I guess it's plain gauge 531 based on the seat post at 26.8 and other (more original) examples that are out there that I've seen on other sites
Lovely - and in my back yard too! Following.
Came from Norfolk (bottom bracket is stamped with a Norwich NR7 postcode). Now residing with me in sunny Southend, Essex.

Latest posts

Back