1960 Mercian Vincitore Vigorelli Frame 22inch + wheels

taylorsummers

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I am selling my wifes old track frame.

We are 99% certain its a Mercian(it has no stickers tho), it was given to her by a clubmate when she was junior and it was his old frame that he had bought when he was a youngster.

I am pretty certain from researching Mercian that it is a Vigorelli model and also from the serial number it was made in 1960.

The frame could do with a respray but it has no dints in it, apart from a very small one(couple of mm) on one of the rear seat stays. Which for a frame 50 years old, i reckon is quite good.

Now for the price, we have struggled to come up with a sensible valuation ie cant find any others that have sold recently!!

So we are thinking £250, however you lot are more experts in this so if this is way out please shout up(the missis will have to downgrade her new shoe forecast :shock: :shock: )

Lots of photos are here http://photobucket.com/craigsmercian

We also have some 27inch wheels that came off the frame, I dont think they are from the 60's tho prob the 70's. They have large flange Normandy hubs and no names on the tubuler rims. Look to me like Mavic or Weinnman. Photos here http://photobucket.com/craigsbikewheels thinking £50 for these.

If you want both sure there is some deal to be had.

Cheers
Craig

Why don't you send the photos to Mercian and the serial number...they probably have a record of it...assuming it is a Mercian and that would give the frame some provenance.....and you will be £££ in and your wife gets a pair of Jimmy Choos [or however it might be spelt]....my $0.02

Just back from Mercian Cycles.

The guys there were very helpful and he confirmed that it was indeed a Mercian made in 1960. However he said it was actually the Vincitore model, with the mudguard eye & front forks drilled option. He also said he was pretty sure it would have been made out of 531 tubing.

In the shop we noticed that it had a very small dint on the top tube and one on the down tube. Tried to photo them however they do not show up, these are very small and easily fillable before respray. The rear has been drilled for a brake at some point and to be honest it doesnt look that to good a job but again easy job to fix.

Also have took some more measurements. The frame from top of seattube to the top of the bb shell is 21inch, from the top to the bottom of the BB it is 22 3/4 and from the top to the centre of the shell it just a little short of 22. The top tube from centre to centre is 22.5, centre to start of seat pin is 22.5inch.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Craig

wired99":b8gv16u6 said:
Might be worth trying www.lfgss.com ;)

Was thinking about that, however thought i would try it on here first. I have not posted on there before so didnt want my first post to be a for sale one.

I also thought that most of the people on there come on here, is that not the case :?: :?:

i'm on LFGSS...join...send a few messages....then put it up for sale....no harm done and you done your apprenticeship at LFGSS.

I'd love to have "her" but I think it's just to big for me... :(

Could you measure from center of bottom bracket to center of top tube?

Hi Pedro,

It is 21 1/2inch from centre to centre. My wife is 5ft 6.5inch(dont forget the .5!!!) so you can use that as a guide as well.

We would love it if it ended up in Portugal :cool: :cool:

Cheers
Craig

I'm 5ft 8.9inch but it seems I have a shorter inseam. :(

That bike is one cm too big for me. I could ride it but the saddle would end up too close to the top tube... what a shame. Sorry I'll have to pass. Good luck with your sale.

Back