1950 - Holdsworth Cyclone-De-Luxe

Thanks for all the above, some helpful info there.
I’m meant to be packing to go camping with my boy but couldn’t resist a quick tinker.
IMG_4848.jpeg
Somewhat unbelievably the stem and seatpost both came straight out, this is a good sign for the rest of the build! Mudguards were in poor shape and have come off, front tyre holds air. :)
IMG_4847.jpeg
Hidden sign of how bright the red paint once was on the stem.

If you want the original colour I suggest looking under the crown race.

1961 Cyclone as delivered:
IMG_0004.1.jpg

Under the crown race - i think that's "flamboyant red"
Original Colour 1.1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that was pretty rough when you got it, how’s it looking now? Any progress?
I’m confident the paint on mine is original, just the stem that was part chrome and part bright red. 👍

I completely restored it last year: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1278777-1961-holdsworth-cyclone-build.html
and I've put around 1400 miles on it since.

Edit: It now has Corsa Control 28mm tubular with sidewalls and looks even better.

Since it didn't have original paint I mixed my own "Holdsworth Red Pearl" by copying the original paint on my Avanti:
IMG_0002.2.jpg

IMG_0014.1.jpg

wood bleach, oxalic acid (both are the same product) you can buy it by the pound fill a child pool use about a tablespoon per liter soak over night and it ll rinse right off. Then soak in baking soda to stop the process

That's very useful, thank you. A tablespoon per litre would be 1.5% oxalic acid solution, so it sounds like I don't need too much of it. Probably a stupid question, but soaking in baking soda, is that dry powder or mixed with water?

Some of the decals are under the clear coat and some are stuck on top. Will this process be potentially damaging to all of them? I suppose instead of soaking the entire frame I could wrap a rag soaked in acid around the certain parts and wrap a plastic bag over that to stop it drying out?

Sorry for the thread highjack.

That's very useful, thank you. A tablespoon per litre would be 1.5% oxalic acid solution, so it sounds like I don't need too much of it. Probably a stupid question, but soaking in baking soda, is that dry powder or mixed with water?

Some of the decals are under the clear coat and some are stuck on top. Will this process be potentially damaging to all of them? I suppose instead of soaking the entire frame I could wrap a rag soaked in acid around the certain parts and wrap a plastic bag over that to stop it drying out?

Sorry for the thread highjack.
Mix with water

This bike is playing so nice, I’ve had bikes less than half this age and really had to struggle to get them apart. This has stripped right down pretty easily.
IMG_4853.jpeg
Serial no. 12719.
IMG_4854.jpeg
Matches on here (as expected really).
IMG_4855.jpeg
Bayliss Wiley bottom bracket, grease in here was fairly fresh and it’s in reasonable condition, definitely re-usable.
So far so good, next step is a degrease, wash and polish. :)

Latest posts

Back