1935 GA 77 or 99

creindesign

Dirt Disciple
G.A. Cycles (founder G. Astbury) is referred to on Classiclightweights as: "the South London shop of GA Cycles, an important pre war bicycle maker"
I have found some catalogues on Gracesguide and VCC Library.

Strangely enough I have not been able to find other GA bicycles online.
I wonder if there are any others left...

20" frame with Brampton fittings.
Framenumber on N/S side of BB: 3556 (year '35 - #56)
Reynolds HM double butted tubing, Russ type forks with very nice fork ends.
Wheels 597 K7 Sturmey 3 speed with quadrant changer, front an early Dynohub.
Brakes Resilion Cantilever.
Willams 5-pin detachable chainset on Brampton BB.

The GA 99 is the geared version of the GA 77. I am not sure if this one was sold as GA 77 and later upgraded with a 3-speed hub (as it is a K7) or if it was sold as a GA 99.

I took this one on a VCC ride in February, it is in a good riding condition (everything works fine) and it was a joy to ride. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion it simply is too small for me :facepalm: (I am 5ft 11in)

If you know a good home for her, please drop me a line...

Attachments

• GA RHS 1.JPG
    GA RHS 1.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 600
  • GA LHS 1.JPG
    GA LHS 1.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 602
  • GA RHS 2.JPG
    GA RHS 2.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 1936 Cat GA 77.JPG
    1936 Cat GA 77.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 599
Re:

Hi, that's lovely, looks the period and some very nice period parts. I have seen some GA lightweights but I don't have any info on them, they did advertise in Cycling pre war. As you state, it is a small frame, I have a couple of period bikes from this era and its surprising how nice they are to ride, but they are 21 inch frame's, that extra inch gives a longer top tube which does help. Terry

Attachments

• ga_ad.png
    ga_ad.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 577
Re: Re:

OldTel":3ucqrh8p said:
...I have a couple of period bikes from this era and its surprising how nice they are to ride...
thanks Terry and indeed - they are very nice to ride.

Although it has a very long seat post, it simply isn't a good fit for me.
I would love to keep it, but it would spend it's life in the garage instead of on the road :(

Jonny69":3se7vyvc said:
That is really nice. It looks remarkably original.

I agree and that's a bit of a dilemma... I would love to pass it on to someone who will keep it as is and ride it.

But Aristotle's "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" just doesn't apply to vintage bikes.

Back