19" 1997 Kona King Kahuna Frame £200

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Sadly there is a catch. Frame has a crack at the top tube/seat tube junction and as such is sold as a wall hanger or repair job. Cracked it on my first ride. I was using a 350mm long ControlTech seatpost as you can see in the pictures and it was in the minimum amount but im guessing for this frame you need a 400mm long seatpost so that its quite a distance down past that tube junction. For a couple of years now ive planned on getting it sorted but never got round to it. Ive been in touch with Enigma and they'll fix it no problem. Drill a couple of holes at either end of the crack to prevent it going any further and then weld a bead over the top. Jobs a good un and youve got a King Kahuna for £300. Below is my build thread and link to some pictures of the frame as it is now which will be uploaded fairly soon

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=148081&hilit=kahuna

www.flickr.com/stewno1

haggis":18oj3qw1 said:
Sadly there is a catch. Frame has a crack at the top tube/seat tube junction and as such is sold as a wall hanger or repair job. Cracked it on my first ride. I was using a 350mm long ControlTech seatpost as you can see in the pictures and it was in the minimum amount but im guessing for this frame you need a 400mm long seatpost so that its quite a distance down past that tube junction. For a couple of years now ive planned on getting it sorted but never got round to it. Ive been in touch with Enigma and they'll fix it no problem. Drill a couple of holes at either end of the crack to prevent it going any further and then weld a bead over the top. Jobs a good un and youve got a King Kahuna for £300. Below is my build thread and link to some pictures of the frame as it is now which will be uploaded fairly soon

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=148081&hilit=kahuna

http://www.flickr.com/stewno1

Either way that was a lot of post :shock: Sorry to hear about this.

Pics uploaded to flickr now. There's a photo of both sides to show there's only a crack on one side

Thanks for that but I will leave it, I was thinking it may of been 'along' the weld rather than through the tubes as I have a friend who fixed my cracked Xizang in this way.

GLWS dude

haggis":1f4dz2hy said:
Pics uploaded to flickr now. There's a photo of both sides to show there's only a crack on one side

Yikes, that's an interesting and sad place for it to fail :(

The minimum insertion mark, on a seat post, is for the seat posts' safety margin (to stop it bending/snapping) ALL frames should have an absolute minimum of 100mm of seat post inserted below the top tube lower intersection with the seat tube or the frame will break, sooner or later.
Free bump and as stated not that expensive to repair in that easy to access area.

Back