170 v 175mm cranks

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
... am I really gonna notice the difference between the two?? :oops:

I've always had 175's but I've spied a lovely pair of cranks I want, but they're 170mm.

so.... ??? is it a negligable difference in cadence?

You get more leverage with 175. I prefer more 'spinny' 170s but like a cadence of 85-90 and have stumpy legs! If you are touring most people would say go for 170s unless you're very tall as your knees don't have to bend as much.

That's the only time I think I have noticed.

I've always had 175 cranks until recently when I got some 170mm cranks for my Stumpy. I'm not the tallest and have found the 170's a lot more comfortable. Had to raise the saddle a little, but must just be to get the same leg stroke to the pedals. I've found them an improvement so would definitely recommend.

it's interesting how 5mm (or 10mm on a full stroke circumference's diameter) can make a noticeable difference.

I'm around 6'2 and I have a 34" inside leg. so I'm hoping it'll still be suitable for me too.. ?

I changed the 170s from 175mm cranks and the 170s are so much better on my legs there is more clearance, no clipping the ground with the bottom of my crank arms any more not as much anyway :D

I've got quite long legs considering how short i am (5'8") and 170 feels wrong compared to 175.

I don't feel like i'm getting a full stroke (fnarr fnarr)

Let's start with mentioning inner leg lengths then. Total length is not relevant really, as people tend to have different proportions between upper body and legs.
I've only used 175mm cranks so far, but am thinking about putting 170s on my build. I have never tried them tho, so it would be a leap of faith.

For the record, I'm 5'8" (173cm) and have an inside leg length of 31.5" (80cm).

On a mountain bike, crank length doesn't make a big difference as you're not consistently pedalling with your body and legs in a fixed position, you're always moving around, backwards and forwards, weight off the saddle, then sat down, freewheeling, backpedalling etc. over terrain. On a road bike or bikes that you only use on the road over longer distances, it matters more. In this case, your legs are spinning over and over thousands of times in the same position, so if you are over stretching then you'll start feeling it eventually.
Really doesn't matter for an MTB.

GT-Steve":3lvq5y99 said:
it's interesting how 5mm (or 10mm on a full stroke circumference's diameter) can make a noticeable difference.

I'm around 6'2 and I have a 34" inside leg. so I'm hoping it'll still be suitable for me too.. ?
I'm pretty much the same size Steve, and I'll be buggered if i can tell the difference between 170 and 175. Go for it.

Back