BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Like many, I stumbled across the site whilst browsing bikes on the web. I joined as it seemed to be more friendly than a lot of forums and I enjoyed reminiscing over pictures of the bikes I used to own and many more I used to drool over BITD.
I never realised back then what I had let myself in for. I thought I'd a give it a try and bought an old Kona Muni Mula. I thought I'd just try it once, but one led to another. I told myself that I was strong, that I could stop any time I wanted. The Muni Mula was quickly moved on and replaced, then another frame arrived. Before I knew it I had bits being delivered to work to try and hide my habit. If I needed cash for some parts then I'd sell something shiny I'd recently bought - for a loss obviously. I recently bought a new shed to accommodate all these necessary acquisitions. The shed now resembles a small parcel depot, with bits arriving and being packaged up to send almost daily.
I have three builds on the go and can't seem to finish any of them but I've come to terms with this now and I regularly sneak out to the shed of an evening, head torch on, just to look at my shiny stash.
After 11 months and 1000 posts I've finally come to terms with it......

*stands up*

My name's Adrian and I'm a Retrobikeaholic :D

the record is 9,000 posts but the user was then banned for crimes against common decency, hair removal cream and an ice cream van named 'Berta'

I do this, however I'm a purger.

I seem to collect loads of bikes and bits "bargains" and then every year or so purge and sell anything that's not attached to a regularly used bike.

Of course the cycle starts again when I spot a desirable frame, and I start to buy again, usually similar bits to what I've sold, but would rarely buy the same frame again.

legrandefromage":2itmfce5 said:
the record is 9,000 posts but the user was then banned for crimes against common decency, hair removal cream and an ice cream van named 'Berta'

We're all glad to have you along ade!......you will soon have a house full too....I'm off to hide my hair removal cream....

Hi Adrian, welcome to the club. The first step is admitting you are a Retrobikeaholic! The second step is convincing yourself it's not a problem, it's a hobby! And everybody needs a hobby! ;)

A wise old owl sat in an oak
The more he heard, the less he spoke
The less he spoke, the more he heard
Why aren't we all like that wise old bird?
;)

Back