10 sp cassette on 9sp hub and derailleur shifter questions

just to add for anyone reading:

Any 8spd shimano cassette freehub body will take a 10spd cassette - however, 'some' (with alloy bodies or alloy cassette spiders) may need a small spacer be it SRAM, Shimano, Sunrace, Sunrun etc - anything designed for Shimano splines

Any shimano road/ MTB SIS (slant parallelogram) specific rear mech from about 1984/5 onwards will go all the way up to 10spd road and shimano 9spd MTB, that includes 10spd Shimano flatbar road shifters

As above, when shimano split the road and MTB shift ratios, it all went wrong and the the days of pick & mix were over

Some issues may happen with frames that have very thick stays, it can interfere with the mechs adjustment reach to the topmost cog as the derailleur is a few mm further away from the wheel

You 'must' use narrower chains with the corresponding mech otherwise wider chains can rub against the narrower mech cages - fiddle around with jockey wheels to suit but it doesnt matter too much.

Front mechs are a hotchpotch of experimentation as to what goes with what as the fronts often only index properly to their corresponding release years

Damn confusing and I thought it was all so simple
I assumed MTB shifters and road ones if of the same say speed and say type ie shimano would work together
So a 10ap shimano cassette 10sp shimano type road shirt cage derailleur and shimano 10 sp MTB shifters. With of course a 10sp narrow chain

Is the following correct ? If so I can use 10sp road cassette and 10sp road derailleur with a 10sp MTB shifter (all shimano)
6BB318A6-2858-44E5-AF2F-8B096116F9FD.png

Tiagra SL-R460* or Ultegra SL-R770 if you are hell bent on 10 speed using that old Shimano compatible road RD.

The left hand shifter should work with a MTB FD. In fact it was a fairly popular set-up since they appeared before the MTB 10 speed stuff.

* Avoid the Tiagra SL-4700 which is also 10 speed, but the cable pull is closer to 11 speed road.

Tiagra SL-R460* or Ultegra SL-R770 if you are hell bent on 10 speed using that old Shimano compatible road RD.

The left hand shifter should work with a MTB FD. In fact it was a fairly popular set-up since they appeared before the MTB 10 speed stuff.

* Avoid the Tiagra SL-4700 which is also 10 speed, but the cable pull is closer to 11 speed road.
Thank you
Those Ultegra SL-R770 look like the LX M570 and I like them ! So these should be The solution to my wanting to use that RM

Latest posts

Back