Wanted 1" 'nice' fork - how big an ask is this?!

@TreaderSteve
This is lovely, but you'll need to get the steerer threaded - easy enough I guess.

And if you changed your mind about spending big bucks then this is a beauty...
You can’t simply thread steerers made for Aheadset application - the tubing tends to be a different (thinner) diameter. That’s a big safety no-no. And extending thread on an existing threaded steerer can be extremely hard if it’s Reynolds or similar cro-mo tubing.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I don´t want to speak on the OP´s behalf, but I don´t read it all that he doesn´t like Ritchey forks, it´s just that they are really hard to find with a long steerer (ask me how I know). Hence the question about extending.

Personal opinion: I find the Logic forks to be almost too flexible and especially in combination with an earlier Merlin frame the handling can be a bit scary in technical terrain. That being said, I´ll not be changing mine and just accept it to be part of the character of the bike.

Are we saying that those Tange forks are the same as 'Ritchey Logic'?! If they are, would they really not take a good threading from my LBS to suit?

Nope the Ritcheys are made by Tange, but the tubeset is different. If you don´t have them side by side the appearance may be similar, but the blades on the Ritchey are thinner and the steerer is internally ovalized ("force directionally butted") which can be seen from below. Dropouts typically have no fender mounts. Earlier forks did not have Ritchey marked dropouts. But weight is the real telltale sign. Even with a long steerer they should not be over 800g.

ritchey_components1992_14.jpg

I bought dozens of Ritchey Logic inch threaded forks (98?) when the distributor wanted shot of them as everything was 1&1/8 ahead.
Remember those days?

I'd say none of the steerers were 210mm - maybe non-existium, maybe short supply.

The internal diameter of an ahead fork isn't necessarily 22.2mm, so a quill might not fit, be sloppy, or cause failure.

Doesn't mean it hasn't been done many times though, and sometimes manufacturers used the same tube for threaded and non- threaded construction even though the requirements are clearly very different.

Here's the overlapping thread:

Back