Wanted 1" 'nice' fork - how big an ask is this?!

There was no such thing from my recollection of a 1" aheadset for mountain bike application, it was always 1 1/8" or 1 1/4"; road yes, 1" for sure for a while. So as the ad states, this looks to be steerer for threading. The seller doesn't mention anything about aheadset.

1" ahead was definately an mtb thing.

1" ahead was definately an mtb thing.
Happy to be corrected, everyday a schoolday etc., but from my own experience I was riding both 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" threaded from 1990, and the Tioga Avenger system seemed to be the first mainstream promoter of aheadset adopting the already common diameter of 1 1/8". I'd genuinely be interested to know which manufacturers were using aheadset in 1" for mountain bikes.

Happy to be corrected, everyday a schoolday etc., but from my own experience I was riding both 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" threaded from 1990, and the Tioga Avenger system seemed to be the first mainstream promoter of aheadset adopting the already common diameter of 1 1/8". I'd genuinely be interested to know which manufacturers were using aheadset in 1" for mountain bikes.
Yep had 1inch Aheadset aplenty. RS Judy’s….Orange F2 and Orange Aluminium forks etc…there was a window when there were a lot around.

Yep had 1inch Aheadset aplenty. RS Judy’s….Orange F2 and Orange Aluminium forks etc…there was a window when there were a lot around.

I've seen inch pace rc35s ahead on a couple of orange bikes - Orange stuck with the inch setup long enough for customers to want to move away from fiddly threads and heavy quill stems without waiting for next year's model or change brand, and many fork manufacturers offered a suitable model for them.

The American Market had mostly gone inch and an eighth threaded already by the early 90s whereas those brands still offering inch threaded needed to make 2 step changes, leading to a year or so of inch ahead being quite common on high end UK models.

Latest posts

Back