1 1/8" to 1" headset re-sizing

firestaffman

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
evening all,
Im currently looking at buying a frame with a 1 1/8" aheadset, I want to remove it and fit a fork with a 1" steerer, threaded (it's a quasar suspension fork)
Is there, or does anybody have, a headset which fits this purpose?
preferably a british one, but it's not essential.
cheers people

Seems a strange thing to do given the great choice of forks you have with a 1 1/8" aheadset, but... (I stand to be lampooned now, but here goes)...

1) some kind of head tube reducer to bring ID down from 1-1/8" - 33.9mm to 1" Standard - 30.1mm

2) press out the 1" steerer on your fork and fit a 1 1/8" steerer using said press (hydraulic)

3) *bodge alert* bash the 1" cups into the 1 1/8" cups, tack weld them into place and ground down the welds till smooth - obviously I wouldn't condone such behaviour, but I have known it to work (if the profiles match) but that was on a super cheap hack.

I know chris king make the devolution headset 1 1/4" - 1 1/8", just wandering if they ever made one 1 1/8" - 1"?

cheers guys,
like the idea of using a shim for the headset but would it be something I'd have to fabricate myself or are there readily available bits that serve that purpose?
As for changing out the steerer and replacing it with a 1 1/8" , it's no-no, the way the Quasar's designed would need a little shaving of metal here and there and really mess with it's integrity and they're not the strongest forks to begin with.
Any more suggrestions welcome people!!

Problem Solvers, Wheels, and a few other companies make headset reducers. They usually run in the $20-25 range.

hs409z28__________114.jpg

I run a set of the Problem Solvers w. a 1" King 2 Nut when I want to run my old Bonty fork on my DeKerf.

3c1bf804.jpg

firestaffman":3rd0uggo said:
evening all,
Im currently looking at buying a frame with a 1 1/8" aheadset, I want to remove it and fit a fork with a 1" steerer, threaded (it's a quasar suspension fork)
Is there, or does anybody have, a headset which fits this purpose?
preferably a british one, but it's not essential.
cheers people

WOW QUASARS

Hey Buddy, I've done EXACTLY what your trying to do....

I have a sets of Quasars, and have had them on my GT Xizang for about 12 Years, ridden them daily (seriously) and i LOVE THEM..... don't listen to all the 'bull about them, there AWEAOME to ride with :) :D

I got my "reducer headset" from my local bike shop, he has a good stash of 'Old Skool bits... keeps them for weird retro bikers like us ! lol

I'll ask him if he has another one next time im in, probably early nest week. Think it was about 30... sealed bearings etc... Its a nice-ish (not King nice but plenty accceptable)

Where did you get your Quasars from ?

Laters

Adi

much appreciated gentlemen, that's a bit of a relief really!!
Alternatively, does anyone know how feasible it is to remove an inch steerer from a quasar and pressing in a 1 1/8th? chheers, all

ps adi-66, I got them on this forum about a week ago, not picked them up yet but I know they're the threaded steerer type, in silver-not painted up-they look eff'in trick!!

Back