'04 Calfee Luna Pro - Coupled

br0qn

Retro Guru
so finally a proper road bike. ever since building the voodoo i found myself riding way more pavement than anything and so i set out to build up a road bike. i had the Ti GT project that ultimately i let go before getting finished for various reasons. when i did get back to frame hunting i decided i wanted

lugged, round tube carbon or light steel or Ti
rim brake
mechanical
at least 1 1/8" head tube
clearance for 28mm+ tires
sloping TT

i was really wanting a Look 585 which checked all the boxes save the tire clearance, most reports see 25mm max but still every owner remarks on the amazing ride quality so i was willing to make that compromise. as i was waiting for one to pop up in good shape/ for a good price this calfee appeared and was local.

it ticked all the boxes save the sloping TT but had the added bonus of couplers. both the seller (PO) and the bikes owner prior (PPO) had great things to say about the ride and i really love what the PO did to the finish so it was a done deal.

initially planning to run campy 11, i had most of a group together, but was struggling to find a medium cage rear mech that wasn't trashed and over priced or new and way over priced. i realized then campy 12 prices were looking very good in comparison so i pieced together a group with new brand new brakes, front/rear derailleurs and near new levers. crank was a freebie and cheapo seat post / stem and a great deal on a set of less than prefect HED ardennes ra black wheels plus some tune finishing kit i had intended for the gt and i was good to go.

here it is before cables, chain and tape.

v1_wip_02.jpg

this bike under previous ownership has done an edition of Haute Route and climbed Pikes Peak and who knows what else. i'm dreaming of a trip to Italy to try and catch some of the Giro + ride around or maybe Corsica, or eventually both.

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-12.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-3.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-6.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-9.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-10.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-2.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-1.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-7.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-18.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-11.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-17.jpg

07_calfee_luna_pro_coupled-15.jpg