XTR 952 bottom bracket options

MTBMike

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,
please could someone advise on any bottom bracket options I have for my year 2000/2001 Marin Mount Vision Pro?
It's the one with the round tubes and all XTR coloured (not a red rear swing arm).
It has the listed bottom bracket, but it's tired.
Does anybody know of an alternative, or even have a replacement?
Does anyone know what size it should be?
Help!!

apparently, the Ultegra and Dura Ace roadie BB's are suitable replacements.

I have just bought a 118mm 105 to try out, should be here this week so will post up my findings

my bike is a HT though, so not sure what length you will need

I didn't know Ultegra fitted as well as Dura Ace. Wasn't aware of 105 being the same either. Thought both of those were octalink like the XT of the same era. XTR has a different spline depth.

Your issue here is chainline. The XTR's were 112.5mm or 116mm. Most bikes I have come across that use them use the 112.5mm.

They were available and still in production or at least there were stocks of them knocking about until relatively recently. CRC were selling them up until about last year I think. So there are still loads about here and there.

I use a 109mm Shimano 105 BB for running my 952 cranks in single speed set up.
The longer 105 bb is either 116 or 118 with is fine for triples i have found.

Attachments

• xtr bb.png
    xtr bb.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 592
  • 105 bb.png
    105 bb.png
    11 KB · Views: 592
thats the one ive gone for, a 118mm 105 BB
seeing as the XTR was 116mm, I dont think 1mm either side (all things being equal) will make too much difference

I will stand corrected of course, should this not work out, but for £20 on ebay for new BB as an experiment, I dont mind the gamble

Thanks all for the excellent and prompt replies!!!!
unkleGsif, please could you let me know how you go on?
Thanks again everyone.
Mike.

to be honest, i've considered the effects of chainline, and concluded that a) ive used 3 different length BB's on varying combinations of frames and it made little difference to be noticable....

b) I will only be setting the XTR's as a double (no granny ring) anyway, and about 85-90% of my riding necessitates the smallest 3 sprockets on the cassette anyway, so it should be OK

not 100% certain of current BB lenth, but I know its quite long as it is, and its set up ok

Latest posts

Back