WINGS Kit for RS Judy - any good?

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Looking to gather a few opinions on the above before deciding whether or not to buy the kit.

I want to change the elastomers and current dampers in my '96 Judy SLs for new ones. I've seen the Wings kit on eBay at it looks like it does what I need it to do. However I've heard from one or two people that the kit isn't all that good.

I want to know if anyone has bought the kit to use with their Judys? What's it like?

Ideally I wanted to increase the travel from 63 to 80mm too but it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth, hence me looking at the Wings kit!

Of course, any ideas/suggestions on how to replace the internals AND increase the travel in one fell swoop would be much appreciated too! :):)

Avoid.

Had my fingers burnt by the Wings kit. Build quality is crap and if you can get them to fit they sound like an ashmatic Trabant when used. Eventually got a refund but took an Ebay dispute to do it.

REKIBorter":5y9xqykj said:
Avoid.

Had my fingers burnt by the Wings kit. Build quality is crap and if you can get them to fit they sound like an ashmatic Trabant when used. Eventually got a refund but took an Ebay dispute to do it.

I've heard similar stories from a couple of people :? , could you recommend another kit? I've seen the Kronos springs but ideally I want a kit that comprises springs and dampers (and possibly a replacement dummy leg so I can increase the travel too!).

On my 96 Judy XC's I took out three elastomers from each leg and replaced the with a Type II spring from a 98 Judy tuning kit. Works better than the original set-up. Perfect balance between elastomer compression damping and spring boingyness.

REKIBorter":19qtxha7 said:
On my 96 Judy XC's I took out three elastomers from each leg and replaced the with a Type II spring from a 98 Judy tuning kit. Works better than the original set-up. Perfect balance between elastomer compression damping and spring boingyness.

Good work :) - I've heard that completely replacing the elastomers with springs makes the forks feel a little over-sprung, so I might do the same as you, depending on the condition of the elastomers.... I haven't had the forks delivered yet (they're coming from Oz), so can't physically tell. However the forks still look the correct length in the picture below - if they look too short it's a sure fire sign that the elastomers are buggered :?

judysl_604.jpg

Here's the bodge in all it's glory. The tide mark (dust from the infamous Gates Ride) shows how much travel I can get out of this combination.

Attachments

• SDC11230-w1024-h768.jpg
    SDC11230-w1024-h768.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,067
  • SDC11229-w1024-h768.jpg
    SDC11229-w1024-h768.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,067
That Spring looks like a Type 3 lower spring length.

I have full springs in my 96/5 judy's travelling at 60mm and they are fine and dandy (some Wing Springs, but don't seem to be like you get from Mr-Wing on ebay.)
I also have 97 judy and with the typeII setup in it (elastomer bottom, spring top) they where ok, but with some hydrocoil red spring and a spacer (old black elastomer) they are really smooth and nice.
I'm soon to test out my new typeIII springs (spring top and bottom), but I may now be to heavy for them :(
I've also had a SpeedSpring, they where nice if a little too hard for me (a yellow one).
Again perfectly fine with the standard cart though.

Other troubles people have had recently with Mr_wings is that when they bought the dampers, they receive the wrong diameter bottom parts (think they got 95/6 width and ordered or the 97(98 ?)+ setup so they rattled around etc.. youv'e read the stories.

If money is no object there is a good option on ebay us (if it's not sold yet)

To get close 80mm on the older judies you really need to grab some Down Hill dampers.

Is it just the look of the older fork you are trying to keep (separate brace ?)

You may be right Type III lower spring. The ones with two different springs in each leg.

FluffyChicken":okx4gwl1 said:
Is it just the look of the older fork you are trying to keep (separate brace ?)

I'm trying to keep the build as period-correct as I can, so I want to stay with my '96 Judys :)

Latest posts

Back