White Industries crankset Expert vs. Comp

jokamp

Old School Hero
Hi
I am trying to rebuild a 1996 Marin Team Titanium bike to as close as original spec as possible. When looking in the catalog the specification says White Industries Expert crankset while some other models are listed with White Industries Comp crankset. Looking at different ads it only says White Industries crankset and made by Sugino or in the US.

Does anyone know the difference between Expert and Comp? Any pictures of the difference so that I know what I should look for?

The sugino have a more robust finish, are stronger and look more like a production crankset. They also have Sugino stamped on the rear of the arms with a made for wording on it too.

The WI made ones look more CNC style, but smoothed from high polishing, and higher quality finish.
EDIT2 : milled out back parts too, but can't remember how much as it's been a long time since I've seen pictures of them.
Basically look at the back of them ;-)

edit to add
if you're paying £25 for them, they'll be Sugino. Most are sugino. Marin's where Sugino.
If you're paying £150+ for them, they are White industries US made or being ripped off.

Expert/Comp, no idea. Probably the rings on them.

Re:

Good advice already, I too think the difference might be more chainring related...

The forged Sugino versions are technically stronger than the machined versions, but the latter are way superior looks and quality wise as you would expect. I was using a pair of the 'proper' WI made cranks for some time and they still held up really well. The finish also seemed to last alright, thinking about it.

Certainly look out for Suginos being sold at ridiculous prices online. The most obvious way of spotting them is the ' Made for White Industries by Sugino' script on the reverse. They are also only 94BCD compact drive. The WI ones like mine were 110BCD, and possibly 94 as well later on I think?

Perhaps the best way to see the other visual differences is to check out Peachy's rather excellent CB Titanius thread here - from page 8 onwards the cranks appear (including my old set which I sold on to him!)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=405760&start=70

Sugino ones are pretty bombproof, the alloy is strong and the design made them to last, not to crack. The US-made stuff is lighter and quite hard to find (for sensible money anyway), but should be dependable enough, their design is the same apart from some weight reduction here & there.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Expert vs. Comp dilemma, get a nice set, polish it well, dress it up with some fancy rings/bolts (with the built-in WI minimalist design, any tuning can be spectacular) , and you are onto a winner :cool: !

P. S. I did see some Sugino ones with stamped/painted WI logos on the cranks (they can be scratched/disappeared rather easily), and some others which had the logo engraved on them (much nicer idea anyway), maybe this can be a difference, too? I'd get an engraved logo'd set for my project.

Back