Which disc brakes?

firedfromthecircus

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
OK. Next question for my new build is what brakes to go for?
And why?
Going on a hardtail ss 29er just for general xc duties. No downhill monster brakes required. Price is open really, but if I am going to spend a lot I'd like to think I'm still getting good vfm. ;)

I'd say shimano, even deore are ridiculously good these days and cost from around £60 for both ends. Obviously going up the shimano ladder gets you more adaptability less weight etc. Is get XT if I had the money, not flash but bloody good. If you want something out of the norm Formula are good. Couple people on here swear by magura but the big S is hard to beat!

XT all the way - they are unbelievably awesome! I had an old set of m765 calipers lying around so I attached a set of the modern m785 levers and the stop like your hitting a wall! (even on 160mm rotors)

I have both Deores and XT's and to be honest I would struggle to justify the XT's now. The Deores feel just as powerful and have dealt with crashes better than the XT's which have had the raised letters ripped off. The free stroke adjuster does sweet FA and I haven't used the tool free reach adjuster since I found a comfy set up.

The Ice Tech rotors and pads seem pretty good on my XT's though.

I paid £80 for both Deore brakes then £17 for a pair of SLX rotors delivered from a Bike Discount.

Hope or Shimano. They seem to be the only two companies right now who've mastered consistent trouble free brakes. Any Shimano from the Deore on up works very well, the looks and cosmetics are rather lacking compared to Hope's but you can't argue with the price.

Can't go wrong with xt or xtr, no point looking elsewhere for xc. I'll be advertising a pair of xtr m975s later this week if you're interested.

Have XTR brakes on my 29er and they are awesome! The XT I think are as good just slightly heavier...really depends on you budget!

I'll thow a different option in and say Formula.
I've had the K18's and RX/R1's and absolutely love them. I don't think there is much too choose between them and the latest XT's though

Another for Shimano, my elderly cable BR-M515's have always been reliable and thus i reckon their hydraulic kit is bound to be good too, they've been at it a very long time. Remember the cable operated Tandem disc brake thats been posted up before from the 70's !

makster":3ftomb3c said:
I'll thow a different option in and say Formula.
I've had the K18's and RX/R1's and absolutely love them. I don't think there is much too choose between them and the latest XT's though

Formula do seem to have good following and get good reviews, but the cost of spares puts me off slightly. If I'd had the money, I would happily have gone for a set of the One's.

Latest posts

Back