Which chain do I need?

Mogsman

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I need a new chain. My old original one was a CN-UG50. I have a 7 speed Hyperglide cassette and original 1998 Saracen chainset. The chain was destroyed by me cleaning it in metal restorer which cracked most of the links. I won't do that again. The chain only had a couple of hundred miles on it so I don't need to replace the cassette. I have looked on Wiggle and found a HG50 and HG70. Which of these would I need? Or are any others?
Ian

get a kmc x8.93

great chains for 8 or 7 speeds.Paid £8 for mine.

dont bother with shimano 'cause shimano don't make chain.(kmc make theirs). SRAM chain is nice, but i think kmc make theirs as well.

been using kmc x8 and x9. great chain.

ebay have some good deals.

The chainset has done the same low milage as the cassette with hardly a wear mark on it. I might get a KMC chain ordered tomorrow at those prices.
Ian

SRAM all the way for me......cheap and easy to use.....don't go mad with cost either,a cheaper chain replaced regularly will stop the issue of block and ring being eaten by a stretched chain....

I ordered an HG70 from Wiggle. Its a good price for £14 with free delivery. I'll fit it with an SRAM powerlink, so I can take it off regularly to give it a good clean.
Ian

Mogsman":1d8kh3aq said:
I ordered an HG70 from Wiggle. Its a good price for £14 with free delivery. I'll fit it with an SRAM powerlink, so I can take it off regularly to give it a good clean.
Ian

Shimano is not intended to have a powerlink fitted. It may work fine, but it may not.
Shimano still recomend proper pins for joining their chain.

I've had the power link on my chains Shimano) for 2 years. Work great & wouldn't be without them

the great roberto":326jsrl4 said:
Mogsman":326jsrl4 said:
Ian

Shimano is not intended to have a powerlink fitted. It may work fine, but it may not.
Shimano still recomend proper pins for joining their chain.

I never bothered with Shimano's joining pins - just make sure you have a decent chain tool and you can then do what you want with a chain.

Back