Wheels rebuilt on Campagnolo Electron/ Shamal Hubs

Silk_RideR

Retro Newbie
Hello!
This is probably a long shot but… has anyone here ever built up a set of wheels using the Electron/ Shamal hubs?

I have a set of Electron clinchers in very good condition, the ones I used on the Serotta Atlanta in a BOTM challenge. But I would like to put modern rims on the hubs, to go with at least 25mm tires, to make them more versatile but still have the classy Campagnolo look from the '90s. According to the spare parts catalogue, the spokes look like straight-pull spokes but using the retention parts in place.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpeg
    IMG_4732.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 2
The rims are c13 so within the ETRTO recommended limits to mount a 25c tyre - OK, it will "lightbulb" a bit (23c is a better match) but it's widely - forgive the pun - done.

28c is not recommended.

Building different rims to the hubs is do-able but it's not as straightforward as it first appears because the spoke sockets assume a narrow range of angles at which the spokes will enter the hub - and the G3 pattern (which can be "faux - laced" on a conventionally drilled rim, using, say, a 36H in place of a 21H G3 rim) also requires that the rim be "not round" before building and tensioning - the G3 rims before build are slightly polygonal and are pulled into round by the tensions on the spoke groups themselves.

Back