Whats with the fashion for no brakes...

Brakes are useless on vert ramps, so a lot of riders leave them off. They don't use their vert bikes for anything else, though.

orange71":2bypzrx7 said:
is it possible some of these bikes have coaster brakes?

not the ones ive seen, they look like they have been through a few world wars, look knackered, just stupid kids using their foot as a brake when they come ot a main road.

As a middle aged duffer I agree that its stupid. However if I was 12 I'm sure I'd think it was cool. Its not like you think you're about to die when you're that young and even if you do its just a nice adrenilin rush. Pretty sure I rode around on bikes where the brakes not working properly was the least of their un-roadworthiness issues.

In Dundee in 1995 I seen a kid ride flat out down the Hilltown on a brakeless bike with no rear tyre :shock:

How he stopped before Victoria road which bisects the bottom I did not see but he pushed the bike back up the hill past me and did it again :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dundee's no the best place in the world to live but a carefree approach to life and limb for one so young was frightening :roll:

Neil G":3tyjzqhs said:
The Gonz and Troy McMurray were riding brakeless in BMX back in the late 90s

Pah, me and my mates rode brakeless BMX's back in the 80's :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .

More because the bike were broken down heaps one step from the scrapper that anything else, still remember wrecking a pair of trainers on the first day by jamming my foot between the seatstays and wheel to stop.
Wasn't good for tyres either as the brake was either on or off.

Looking back it does seem pretty suicidal now.

Carl.

rode trails brakeless for a year bitd,made tailwhips and busdrivers easier and cheaper ,the low pointing seats is just stupid,they dont help with any tricks and make a small bike look smaller.

i did however learn loads about bike handling and what happnes etc when you ride a free bike,just the same as skating and surfing imho.

now im older i think theyre stupid and need to learn how to ride before trying fashionable styles lol

now im older i think theyre stupid and need to learn how to ride before trying fashionable styles lol

+100

I used to live somewhere far too hilly so didn't bother that much . Although plenty of mates did and were very good . Now I live where it's flat I have more time for it , but you have to be a good rider to begin with . You always have to plan far ahead , but there are ways to stop from most speeds and situations . I went around the sherwood pines family route on a bike without brakes . Spot your exit and throw it into a slide .

A lot of the kids seem to lack the necessary motor skills :LOL:

Latest posts

Back