What price to pay for a good chromoly GT frame like Avalanche, Bravado or Karakoram?

As for the chainset, I am looking to get a period correct Shimano Deore DX or XT, I know the original spec was Deore DX, but I would be happy with either, depending on how much I'll end up spending. How much difference is there between the Deore DX and XT, apart from weight?

/\ Shape & design wise they are identical. DX are cast & XT forged, the DX appear more shiny/polished if in good cond. Chainrings may vary, early XT might be black or bio-pace if even earlier. Not much in it really.

/\ Shape & design wise they are identical. DX are cast & XT forged, the DX appear more shiny/polished if in good cond. Chainrings may vary, early XT might be black or bio-pace if even earlier. Not much in it really.
Thank you for that info, I may end up going for Deore XT as there seems to be more for sale on eBay.
However if anyone on this great forum has one for sale at a reasonable price I might take them up on the offer.

Still on the look out for for other parts, but money's a bit tight atm. However I am in two minds whether I should put my XT Thumbshifters and matching brake levers, or try to locate a nice set of Shimano Deore XT MO-95 shifters/levers combo, as they were fitted originally according the catalogue specs, if I am not mistaken.
Other parts yet to find and buy are the BB, chainset, cassette, chain and cables.
For the cables I am hoping to get blue outer casing, like Jagwire, unless someone can make better recommendations.
Hope you enjoy the progress so far?
I can't wait to get this bike on the road soon!
Yes!, I hadn't seen this thread until now, Your Bravado looks in super condition!

Jagwire, are great if a little over-priced. although you won't go wrong with them and everything you need is in the kit.

Thumbies are a cool option. If you do go for some M095 Shifters, I've found that scratched ones can easily be restored by careful masking and the black spray paint for car bumpers. Give a similar black finish and is easy to do ;-) Look like new!

Yes!, I hadn't seen this thread until now, Your Bravado looks in super condition!

Jagwire, are great if a little over-priced. although you won't go wrong with them and everything you need is in the kit.

Thumbies are a cool option. If you do go for some M095 Shifters, I've found that scratched ones can easily be restored by careful masking and the black spray paint for car bumpers. Give a similar black finish and is easy to do ;-) Look like new!
I like the M095 shifters as I had them on my custom build '93 Zaskar back in the day, and in my opinion they're the best looking rapid-fire shifter brake combo, ever made! If I am not mistaken they came as stock on the '92 Bravado according to the catalogue. So it would make sense to fit them to my Bravado!

Back