What IS the Future of Mountainbiking ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
I can see a future of marginalisation for mountainbiking, as riders are coerced into only riding in dedicated bike parks. Bike technology is partly to blame IMO. The motocross look, powerful disk brakes, capable full suspension and as a result a massive increase in speed along trails. Our limited canti braking somewhat prevented us from careering down bridleways and we passed other trail users at a more gentle pace, usually with a kindly word as we climbed hills !

Am I wrong ? :roll:

This would be more pertinent if this was written 20 years ago!

It fractured as soon as full suspension appeared.

The whole business is to make MONEY MONEY MONEY. Nothing else.

The trail centre attitude is dangerous to cycling as it is fine in a trail centre but doesnt translate well to the real world.

You cannot treat the real world as a red route.

*edited

Re:

Exactly, the trail centre style of riding will be he death of our much loved sport. I hope there is a trend return to rigid/hardtail bikes and good signposting showing where people legally ride. Too many routes now have 'restricted access' on the signs but no clear statement of what that actually means. :facepalm: It's all getting so legal these days.

Agreed. What distresses me is the whole 'put your bike on a car and drive to a trail centre' thing. Ride out from your home and explore!!!

Bridleways are signed on the ground and marked on an OS map...how much clearer do you want? You also have a legal right to use them.

Re:

All doom and gloom of old people getting nostalgic. Mountainbiking will remain as long as people enjoy being outside enjoying nature and biking.

hamster":qmiko364 said:
Agreed. What distresses me is the whole 'put your bike on a car and drive to a trail centre' thing. Ride out from your home and explore!!!

Bridleways are signed on the ground and marked on an OS map...how much clearer do you want? You also have a legal right to use them.

You would be surprised how many of the general public don't know this though ;) Good point, everybody drives to the trail centres these days.

You will be old one day Troje ;)

hamster":s80xxclt said:

Amen to that! One of my neighbours loads his car up, and drives to somewhere to go riding.
I've learnt where the local bridleways are thanks to OS!

Re: Re:

troje":n04bhulp said:
All doom and gloom of old people getting nostalgic. Mountainbiking will remain as long as people enjoy being outside enjoying nature and biking.
I wouldn't worry too much...yes there are loads of 'trail centres' and 'bike parks' nowadays for those who like jumping about with inches of suspension, however, the vast majority of the old trails and byways & bridleways are still there for us lot to enjoy! My biking is as much about exploring - as anything else.
Anyway - the more people on any type of bike - the better in my book!

agree with everything being said here, its something that im really getting annoyed about these days, especially since those trailparks are being built in woodland that used to be open access. now you have to be signed up to the local club, get insured, and wear a helmet. pay your dues and follow the rules, really captures the original spirit of mountain biking doesnt it.

goes hand in hand with that other topic from the other day, bikes being banned from certain areas. you can easily justify banning bikes when you have somewhere specific for them to go.

i can certainly see this as being the future in the UK

Re:

A lot of the trail centres and areas that charge are in Forestry Commission sites or Country Parks. Yes, BITD, they were free - but they were always too crowded for me anyway.
I have managed Country Parks myself and created 'paid for' trails - it's the modern economics of the world - I'm afraid (reduction or compete withdrawal of funding). As an access professional, though, I see, on the whole, there is actually much more access (albeit not all free) not less nowadays.

Back