Violet 3D Ringle Super eight?

staytong

Dirt Disciple
I have a Black Ringle Super eight from back in the mid 90s that I love! Perhaps because it took a 20 year holiday in a shed, it still functions impeccably. But I don’t see them come around very often on the auction block. I guess what I’m wondering is: from a historical perspective, were those hubs just not durable enough to be around present day? Or are they so coveted that people won’t let go of them? Im dying to find a violet 3D super eight for a wheel built on a pair of V3D Sun Mistral rims. Already have the front one, which are not nearly as scarce. I’m trying not to obsess though, in case I’m chasing a unicorn.
Cheers

Re:

They’re out there. Just need to be patient.

A pair of turquoise superbubbas sold on eBay this afternoon.

There have been 3DV Ringle hubs - even a NOS one, if memory serves, on eBay in the last several months.

Re:

I have a mint set on a garage queen but I backed off the spoke tension a few turns to protect the hubs, as they have a tendency to split at the spoke holes.

Re: Re:

BlackCat":2wnqj4rz said:
Ha. Glad to hear it!

What are they going on anyway?

As I mentioned in my initial post, I have some NOS purple Sun rims that they’ll go with, but I’m building up a 98 Litespeed Unicoi. I’ve also got some green Wildgrippers that will go on those. My wheels won’t be all retro though, as I’m having them laced with some cx-rays. Going for extra strength since those rims are something like 12mm wide!
I’ve also purchased a rebuilt Marzocchi XC500(purple) from Germany. Hope it gets here some day. Not the lightest, but this bike is going to look pretty cool(to me), even if it doesn’t have the most functionality. Thanks for asking!

Back