Thumb shifter/thumbies recommendation for 8 speed

ljamesb

Old School Hero
I'm not really familiar with thumb shifters having never used any before. Have used bar end shifters on a road bike and really like them so want to try out thumbies.

Could anyone recommend me a pair of thumb shifters which would work with a 3x8 setup? Something reliable and lightweight would be nice :). I;ve seen some people use bar ends and an adaptor and am open to that option.

Or should I just switch my cassette to a 7 speed to give myself more options?

Thanks!

Either 7 speed shimano thumbies (dx or xt) with the hidden 8th click, or 8 speed xc-pro should work fine. Easier and cheaper to find any of those than to get some bar end shifters and separate mounts.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye out for some :). I guess the friction mode would let you use them for 9 speed too?

Any opinion on these sunrace ones?

There are Microshift-thumbies, also. They sell 8-, 9- and even 10-speed Versions with index or friction.
And Sunrace. Much cheaper, working ok, but not as nicely made.
(Did you realize, that they sell right side only?)

I had some Microsoft 9 speed thumbies, but sold them as in the end I stuck with 8 speed. They were nicely made, but the lever throw was quite long. Are the 10 speed ones road or mtb 10 speed compatible?

foz":2qngfq0i said:
I had some Microsoft 9 speed thumbies, but sold them as in the end I stuck with 8 speed. They were nicely made, but the lever throw was quite long. Are the 10 speed ones road or mtb 10 speed compatible?

Microsoft have really branched out. Did they cause a lot of crashes? :LOL:

:LOL:

that's what happens when you try and type microshift on an android phone and don't check the auto-spelling :oops:

I can imagine you'd get the BSOD once every few rides, and have to wait 20 mins after each ride for automatic updates to install too... :facepalm:

Back