The surprise!, the excitement, the anticipation!....

MikeDanger

Retro Newbie
the disappointment??? :cry:

So I just bought a Nishiki FS-3 frame, in very good condition..... I always wanted that Red FS-2 from the ad, infact I even still have the MTBA magazine when they tested the prototype!
My plan was to strip the paint off the front and the Powdercoat off the rear, repaint the front just like the Original FS-2 and have the rear chromed.

I was told it was an 18" frame which is what I need. I Have an alien SP in 18" (I also have a 16" alien and ariel, which I haven't built because of the size)

I start thinking this FS-3 frame looks slightly small, so i take a TT measurement and get about 21"+/-
:(
Grrrrr, seems small to me, compare to the 18" alien, looks definitely smaller.
I'm sooooo disappointed, I don't think i can use it.

Can anyone confirm sizes/dimensions for the fs2/3? I was trying to find a 93 nishiki catalog, with no luck.

(BTW I couldn't remember my old User name so I had to make a new acct)

How did the person measure it, I would guess if you think it's smaller then they measured centre to tope of the seattube. And you /Alien measure to the top tube.

but a quick search picks up
https://www.jimlangley.net/bicycle_spec/92_93/fs3.html

1991-1999 Bicycle Specifications (Bike Specs)

Nishiki FS 3
Distributed by:
Nishiki Bicycles
22710 72nd Avenue South
Kent, Wa. 98032
Country of Origin: USA
Sizes Available: 16.5, 18.5 (tested)
Weight: Bike 29.6 lbs.
Frame: 7005/Chromo; Rock Shox Mag 10
Wheelbase -- 41.5 in.; 105.41 cm
Seat tube -- 19 in.; 48.26 cm. (actual, center to top): 21 in.; 53.34 cm. (effective)
Top tube -- 23 in.; 58.42 cm
Head angle -- 71 degrees
Seat angle -- 73.5 degrees
Chainstays -- 16.25 in.; 41.27 cm
Bottom bracket height -- 12.5 in.; 31.75 cm
Fork rake -- 1.5 in.; 3.81 cm
Trail --2.88

Yes I saw that page. also I look at the original article and it states 22.9"

so this must be a 16" frame :-(

now what do I do?? Im soooo bummed, been waiting for one of these since 1992.... and now I have one I can't use!

I even started looking for tubing to remake the front triangle!

the seller offered a refund, but Im not sure what to do. It's case of "so close, yet so far"
If I could find the right tubing, I could possibly build a new front triangle.

It would be very hard to send back something I've been waiting for since 1992, even if its not exactly the right one.
I'm torn

Re:

Keep it as wall art if you have space and don't need the £. Personally I'd send it back and wait for the right one, though appreciate you have been waiting a while.

Back