The GT so far

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Regular readers may know I have changed from Saracen cycles to GT Bicycles as I am now thanks to tiboltrider, the proud ,(and I mean it ),owner of a GT Timberline which appears to be completely original.

So, as a long time Saracen rider, (back to 1992), I am of course comparing what I know with what I now have.

It seems my riding style will change, as the GT is different from the Saracen, but not in a bad way, as I suppose every frame geometry has it's plus and minus points, but from my point of view I need to learn all terrain cycling again with regards to the GT, as it handles very differnently.

First off, I thought the thing was nose heavy and I thought the steel in the bars and stem might cure that, but then looking at the geometry, I wonder if it will, because it seems this bike is more towards the centre, unlike my past Saracens, where it seemed the centre was the seat post. The Saracen could perform front wheel hops easily, where with the GT, it is harder and less sure work. But as to directional stability and tighter turning circles, the GT wins hands down. The GT is agile and easy to direct and so far, I am very happy with it, despite breaking the chain tonight after trying to pummel it up hill, but then, it is an original chain and from my observation, very well passed it.

I will add further as thoughts permit.

I went from Saracen to GT back in 97 and, tbh, I loved the GT. Just seemed to work better - climbing was easier, etc, etc. That was going from a mid-range steel Saracen to a Zaskar LE though so it might not be a fair comparisson. But yeah, I agree, the GT won hands down for me too. Always suprises me when I see GT haters (well, may be dislikers) on here because they just seem to work so well. :)

A further thought on this design, is that it feels that it is hugging the ground very closely, which would account for the handling of the thing, which is very predictable, once one learns what one cannot do with it as easily as one did with another design.

Of and yeah, I do agree, it does climb well, better than the Saracen, in fact in the past with the Saracens, I just rode them, they did what was asked of them, it is only when one changes to different designs does one notice the differences in design ideas.

Perhaps it is the GT frame designer had issues with vertigo and preffered a more traction in action approach, but I so far like this ride, as it rides as good as the frame design looks.

But to those that dislike anything, I do hope that dislike is based upon experience as where is the sense if it is not.

Can't say I particularly noticed the GT being lower than the Saracen. How do you mean? Is the frame the same size, etc? I seem to remember the GT was a bit shorter than the Saracen (although this is some years ago and not got round to putting any wheels/forks on the Saracen since :) ) and this meant I needed a longer stem to fit nicely and, I suppose, gave me a lower riding position. I've always liked that though. Also gives me some tiny bragging rights when any of my family attempt to ride it and complain it's not very comfortable, "well", I say, "this is a racing bike you see..." (blah, blah, blah) :D :D :D

I am not sure, it is just a feeling I get from it in motion and if I remember correctly, similar to some e -stay bikes I have ridden, Saracen amongst them, but the e-stay variant is different from the conventional frame variant, in that one climbs well too.

They are well balanced bikes, the combination of shortish forks and a tiny head tube can make earlier ones feel low and twitchy at the front, this is easily cured with a longer fork and slightly shorter stem.

Yay ! I did it, I got up the hill to my home without honking ( in more ways than one) and without stopping, something I only ever managed on the Saracen whilst clipped in and then it was a major feat for me.

The hill is one of those long drawn out types where even buses and non locals in cars change down half way up, a hill that cyclists including me usually get off and push, except for perhaps the Marines and other similarly attired in lycra people who have something to prove.

Anyway, the gearing is good on the GT, so I won't be messing with that this time and like I said earlier, the GT sticks to the ground, a veritable ground hog or on the up stuff ,a mountain goat. I like it, it is very surprising what frame geometry does to a bike.

A laugh though last night, a pal tried riding it, dropped off a kerb and then tried to hop up onto the opposite kerb, no chance, it just crashed into the kerb and he fell off, so, it's not just me who thinks the GT is scared of sky.

I am so far, impressed with GT, and although a Timberline is perhaps the bottom of the range, it is well designed and constructed according to my detail searching eye, and so far, it is lighter and more rideable than the Saracen I recently lost.

I have a few non expensive modifications to do, the main one being the routing of the rear brake cable through the upper triangle, I guess at one point it might have had a plastic sleeve to radius the corner from where it exits the groove tube on it's way to the rear canti, and similarly to centralise the cable acting on the rear canti bridge. To this I am planning a bit of copper or aluminium brake pipe to guide the cable through the guides and act in a more central place for the canti action.

Also I am going to be making my own brake boosters, as those things are fab with canti's, who needs linear brakes. No CNC for me, just hacksaw, drill and file.

I've been telling people for years they climb well and no-one ever believes me... admittedly I don't know any MTBers any more so they're also disinterested... ;) Good though, aren't they? :D And yes - mine came with a black plastic tube that guides the brake cable around the seat tube to the cantis. Can take a pic tonight if you like but I guess it's fairly obvious. :)

Back