Teledyne Titan

Re:

by sheer curiosity - how heavy are the modolo pro calipers - about 150g each ? ( you mentionned total weight but with the levers) - I know Spidel used to have rebranded modolo calipers very close or even identical to these ( and later mavic used the same source)

About the Follis story / mockup
I confess, I am a bit sceptical about the interest.
Follis is a nice make but its true strength was in the 40/50's
A a stage I believe the production was apparently rather large - they also provided unbranded frames to other makes And in the 70's they were possibly more in a marketing driven stance (hence possibly the titan Follis venture).
So having such a "tagged" frame would not increase its interest in my opinion , possibly even lower it if I may say so

Not in the same line, but to illustrate the Follis mention I happen to have a 1940's Follis frame but of a "city bike" - very nice filet brazed frame in Durifort Serie C Extra Legere with internal cabling and brazed rear carrier.
Unfortunately, end of stays was modified in the 70's and cyclo derailleur hanger suppressed :evil:
Still don't know what to do with it as trying to restore it to its previous state is very difficult because the stays were shortened :roll:
This is a Follis of the interesting "Follis" era I would say

here you find some nice info about Follis make

http://anciensveloslyonnais.weebly.com/ ... ollis.html

Re:

Hi bduc61,
Great advice as always. I find that I get caught up in the fun of playing with an idea, not knowing if it's good or not so good, sometimes you win and sometimes you have a Follis moment :oops: ...
The Modolo Professional brakes are very nicely made, a bit heavy compared to the top line CLB's. I don't have a weight for the stock calipers, this set has the brake shoe bolts, all the 6mm nuts, and the cable adjuster screws replaced with titanium. The shoe inserts are black compound Kool-Stop and the wire guides for the tires were removed.
The brake set as configured weighs in at... 328 grams :cool: , on VeloBase one of the commenters had this to say about weight...
"jakeH Certified Vintage on 02/03/15 Report Comment to the Admin
exactly 400g for calipers and 209 for levers. I have a black set."
The measured weight for my calipers and levers was 570 grams without hoods, I just now weighed the hoods at 36 grams for the pair, so the corrected weight for my stock brake set with levers and hoods would be 606 grams so "jakeH" was right on with his total weight of 609 grams. the weight differential is within 0.25% of each other :shock: .
I can't believe the few changes I made to the calipers removed 72 grams, I also can't believe I stripped, polished, and installed a bent brake arm on the front caliper :facepalm: . fortunately its not the side with the serial number on it, I have a perfect spare as I built this brake set out of the best parts of two brake sets, I have a lot of spares :D , that's tomorrow's project.
It might be fun to build up a Galli Super Criterium nutted brake set as I believe these were built by Modolo and weighed in at 296 grams for the set unmodified per VeloBase, with a little work I bet you could get below 250 grams for the set easy :cool: .

Have A Grand Weekend: Mike

Re:

Ron Scarin's Olympic track bike, serial number "SCARIN2"

track_with_Olympic_sticker.jpg

Image From Classic Rendezvous.

: Mike

Re:

The last version of the Stronglight 105 BIS with the standard bottom bracket has a manufacturer claimed weight of 908 grams.
With the Stronglight Competition 651 (hollow steel axle, sealed bearing, alloy cups) bottom bracket, and titanium hardware my 105 BIS weighs in at 863 grams complete.
This is not bad for a crankset with all the hardware, however I'm still looking for a Stronglight Competition 650 titanium 118mm axle or bottom bracket which would put the assembly weight at about 815 grams, but that might be a price to far for a 48 gram weight loss.
For comparison a Campagnolo Super Record crankset with a thin cup 112mm steel bottom bracket and bolts weighs in at 902 grams, with a Campy titanium bottom bracket the weight would be just over 800 grams. It is interesting that these competing cranksets are so close in weight in their stated configurations.
Note: The Campy weights are quoted from VeloBase as I'm to lazy to weigh my Campagnolo stuff.

: Mike

That's going to look amazing once its all together. I really like that Stronglight competition crankset.
Its nice to see all the parts and also interesting to see the comparable weights. I'm generally not into weighing components, I use what I like regardless but it is interesting.
Keep the updates coming.

Jamie

Re:

Think the Tevano ( a sort of look alike of the campa nuovo record ) manufactured by Specialites TA is the lightest of the era bunch at 582 g
I weighed my Stronglight 105 bis at 628 and the campa at 593 :idea:
so Tevano + BB 650 Strongliht Titanium spindle at 189 g came out at 771g on my Bernard Carré build

Dammit, now I'm late for work.. nice thread. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. That groupset looks stunning

jujupunk":1poo0jue said:
Dammit, now I'm late for work.. nice thread. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. That groupset looks stunning

Thanks, I noticed in your signature the SR Litage, can you please post a photo, as I think the Litage is the most interesting bonded aluminum frame on the planet :cool: .
Funny you mention the groupset as I collected all the Suntour/SR bits, decided to go with the Stronglight/Jubilee and now I need another bike to hang the Suntour/SR on, it never ends does it.
Feel free to post a photo or two as this thread never stays on topic (I think it's better that way :D ).

Best Wishes: Mike

Re:

Stronglight spindle stuff... Well I found a model 650 titanium bottom bracket on ebay listed as being steel, I tried to be nice and asked the vendor if it was titanium, I got a one word response... "Steel". I bought it on the spot :cool: .
The bottom bracket received was in wonderful condition with little use and indeed titanium, needing only a long soak in solvent to remove the old grease and a repack of the SKF bearings with CV extreme pressure grease, now it's smooth as butter. I replaced the received cups (somewhat chewed up) with the NOS cups from my model 651 bottom bracket and the result is as seen below (I removed the dust sleeve as it makes the bearings very hard to clean properly -3 grams).

This is the steel model 651 bottom bracket at 245 grams. 245g - 186g = 59 gram weight loss, so the total weight of the crankset is now... 804 grams.
But I'm still not happy... Next is a set of 7000 series aluminum crank bolts and mil spec aluminum washers that should trim 12 grams... This is a paradise for someone with OCD :cool: .

Next up is a Unicanitor SL Superleggera with the forged aluminum frame, mounted to a Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Extra Super Light seat pin with factory titanium hardware, total weight for the assembly... 460 grams.

To round out the cockpit, 3TTT Superleggero 42cm Gimondi bend, hung from a Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Extra Super Light 110mm stem with factory titanium hardware, total weight for the assembly... 457 grams.

More to follow as I get to it.

: Mike :D

Back