Teledyne Titan

Re:

go for the french stuff ;)
italian stuff is much too common and weighs a ton :LOL:

or a titanium bike could go well with the black dura ace group from 1973 I believe ( the silver "crane" and dura ace parts was from 1973 anyhow)!
( unfortunately, the hubs are laced to later 1982 G40 rims I confess ! still looking for a frame for this nice group :roll: )

but a bit more heavy than the french ( but lighter than the spaghetti "bricks") :idea:

Re: Re:

bduc61":6ot7o89l said:
go for the french stuff ;)
italian stuff is much too common and weighs a ton :LOL:

or a titanium bike could go well with the black dura ace group from 1973 I believe ( the silver "crane" and dura ace parts was from 1973 anyhow)!
( unfortunately, the hubs are laced to later 1982 G40 rims I confess ! still looking for a frame for this nice group :roll: )

You Sir are a bad influence ;) . Your Bernard Carré build thread is just magnificent, there is so much great information in there for anyone building with French components, thank you for going into such detail, it's now my go to guide :D .
That is a grand Dura Ace group set you have there, that would look great on a Alan Super Record frameset (Hint, Hint, ;) ).
This is a preview of my Bob Jackson World Tour (mostly new content with a few vintage parts), I just need a day to finish it off but work and my wife makes finding that day difficult :roll: .

Have A Wonderful New Year: Mike

Re: Teledyne Titan Frame

That Bob Jackson looks really lovely :)
As does the Titan also.
Happy New Year guys and all the very best for 2016.
May we have many happy miles and many happy builds to look forward to.

Jamie

Well done for getting your Teledyne (just make sure a magnet can't stick to it).
The only true groupset at the time was from Campagnolo although Shimano was starting to form it's Dura Ace group.
I'd take the opportunity, as I did for my 73 Speedwell Titalite, to stock the exotica of the day - lots of French with some barrier breaking Japanese drivetrain. This will allow you to use your inventiveness as opposed to slavishly collecting a Campagnolo group (lack of imagination!).

Re:

Best wishes for 2016 too

Can't help but notice a lovely pair of hubs on this bob jackson :cool:aren't theses Harden's ?
I confess a weakness for all the high flanges hubs (still looking for a rear one from Fratelli Brivio to rebuild a,rear wheel for a lovely "city bike " from the early 50's - most probably a Hurtu - another french top of the range 1930/1950 make which was rather innovative in frame design and tube use - need to write a post on this!)

About this Jackson, a pity about the "non drive side " pic though :facepalm: ;)
Not sure about the black rims choice - seem to be open pro mavics ? The marriage is a bit "streched" to me.
Keen on the modern parts on classy earlier frames but I find silver rims to look better on these earlier hubs :idea:
Now you need to show us crankset and derailleur choice :idea:

Re: Re:

bduc61":2bbogsgi said:
Best wishes for 2016 too

Can't help but notice a lovely pair of hubs on this bob jackson :cool:aren't theses Harden's ?
I confess a weakness for all the high flanges hubs (still looking for a rear one from Fratelli Brivio to rebuild a,rear wheel for a lovely "city bike " from the early 50's - most probably a Hurtu - another french top of the range 1930/1950 make which was rather innovative in frame design and tube use - need to write a post on this!)

About this Jackson, a pity about the "non drive side " pic though :facepalm: ;)
Not sure about the black rims choice - seem to be open pro mavics ? The marriage is a bit "streched" to me.
Keen on the modern parts on classy earlier frames but I find silver rims to look better on these earlier hubs :idea:
Now you need to show us crankset and derailleur choice :idea:

Hello bduc61, Thank you, I wish I had a set of Harden's but these hubs are modern. Here's a link, http://curtisodom.com/ . The Bob Jackson is a bit of an illusion and I'm not sure it belongs here on RetroBike, most of it is new parts. It is built in the spirit of of the 1950's British all-rounder. as a bomb proof audax mount and my #1 daily rider for the very hilly terrain here in San Diego/Riverside counties.
So here is the parts list. The frame is a 2015 Bob Jackson World Tour, with arrow head lugs, ordered with the old style logos and 1950's style paint. The drive side is a Campagnolo Racing-T crank with TA rings (49-39-2:cool: and matching Campy Racing-T front derailleur, the rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore XT Shadow with a Sram 990 9 speed (11-34) cassette and Sram hollow pin chain, shifted by Dura Ace barcons. Hubs are Curtis Odom, new sealed bearing, 11 speed Shimano compatible with Campy Record QR's. The rims are 36 spoke Mavic 719, the spokes were my wheel builders choice. The bars are GB randonneur, the stem is also GB. The brakes are TRP Revox cyclocross cantilevers being pulled by Modolo Professional levers.
Here is a drive side photo that is NOT the current derailleur configuration.

And just so there is some Titan content, the new Weyless hubset is on the way, 400 Grams + 120mm spacing :D , and period correct 1974.
IMG_2667_1200x800__76478.1421365813.1280.1280.JPG

Best Wishes To All And A Happy New Year: Mike :D

Cavalier":38v37fo1 said:
Well done for getting your Teledyne (just make sure a magnet can't stick to it).
The only true groupset at the time was from Campagnolo although Shimano was starting to form it's Dura Ace group.
I'd take the opportunity, as I did for my 73 Speedwell Titalite, to stock the exotica of the day - lots of French with some barrier breaking Japanese drivetrain. This will allow you to use your inventiveness as opposed to slavishly collecting a Campagnolo group (lack of imagination!).

Happy New Year Cavalier,
You must post photos of your Speedwell. I agree with you on the proliferation of Campagnolo, it hard to resist the overall quality and some parts are so iconic you have to use the original as it seems everything out there for a time was a close copy, like Record seatposts. I'm starting to get mired in researching 1973 through 1977 components as the world was definitely changing in favor of Suntour and Shimano. You bring up some very good points and good advice too.

Best Wishes: Mike

Jamiedyer":1zt209kn said:
That Bob Jackson looks really lovely :)
As does the Titan also.
Happy New Year guys and all the very best for 2016.
May we have many happy miles and many happy builds to look forward to.

Jamie

Jamie,
Thank you and have a wonderful new year.
: Mike

Re:

Would love to treat me with curtisodom hubs for christmas :LOL:

Like your all rounder bike theme :cool:

By the way did nit know these hubs - they seem nice :cool:

Lately in the same spirit, I have stashed 650b frames and cantilever mafac brakes and long cage mechs to build bikes for my old bones which have some trouble with 23 section tyres :roll:

To tease you a bit - think your bob jackson could also sport a triple 5 screws TA, mafac cantis and a Huret Duopar (or a suntour cyclone long cage) but true I don't how many cogs max on the rear they could handle :?:
I have actually always appreciated the fact that the first guys on Mt Tam had only good french stuff to turn to after they destroyed their coaster or drumbrakes down the slopes and fancied the triple to go up and the cantis to go down !

Lastly, in the same vein, my christmas gift was a hellenic seatstays Jo Routens 650b randonneuse with maxicar hubs
But I digress and its another story :mrgreen:

bduc61 wrote:
Lastly, in the same vein, my christmas gift was a hellenic seatstays Jo Routens 650b randonneuse with maxicar hubs
But I digress and its another story

Nobody minds digression :) please digress some more ;)

Jamie

Back