Sweet Wings Crankset question.

JSO

Retro Guru
Just obtained a cracked Dean frame that came equipped with Sweet Wings cranks.

Trying to remove them so I can shoot some pics and am having problems...

I have loosened the hex bolt.

Now what?

Your assistance will/would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a a Ad from MOMBAT until I can take actual pics.

1195SweetCrank.jpg

If you've removed the hex bolt they should pull apart leaving the BB cups in the frame, cups are removed with standard Shimano BB tool.

Axle splines might be corroded so try 'jiggling' the crank arms to loosen - if the frame is rideable that would be best way.

Has the frame got a cable guide screwed to bottom of BB shell? If so, remove & flood the shell with plusgas / rust-ease.

It looks to me as though they should just pull apart. If it's anything like the current campag systems, they can get pretty tight. Sometimes need a bit of a pull or a gentle whack. Then I'm guessing the bearings are splined with Shimano BB type splines, so undo as a normal BB.
They look cool! :cool:

Sweet wings

Screw the bolt back into the BB axle 1 or 2 turns then give it a good wack(technical term) with a hammer and aluminium or brass drift. This should get things moving then remove the bolt and resume jiggling as above.
Good luck ;)

Re: Sweet wings

retrobate":4ugkdivy said:
Screw the bolt back into the BB axle 1 or 2 turns then give it a good wack(technical term) with a hammer and aluminium or brass drift. This should get things moving then remove the bolt and resume jiggling as above.
Good luck ;)
Thanks
Won't the "wack" cause the Bb to become more stuck to the splines?
Probably won't be able to get to this untill Saturday
Do you think that PB Blast would damage the fork if I sprayed a bunch in there and let it sit until Saturday?

Sweet wings

JSO

Sorry I thought that your problem was seperating the 2 axle halves.
If it is, what you are doing is using the frame to support the non-drive side axle half while "wacking" the bolt head is driving the drive side arm out of the bearing/frame.

If seperating the axles is not your problem can you access the BB cups with the crank arms installed, remove them with the crank still in the bearing then you can work at getting the bearing off on the bench.
Some heat usually helps seperate things.

All that said Im only going by the pics in your post and my memorys of pics in mags from about 20 years ago!

Pardon my ignorance....
But wouldn't the "wacking" strip the threads on the non drive side bottom bracket?
Or is the hole non threaded allowing the bolt spin loosely through and only threading into the drive side?
Thanks in advance.

Back