Suspension forks for rim brake wheels?

Retro Spud":cclxieda said:
Marzocchi Z1 and 2’s work well but are boat anchor heavy...

Old Z1 from 1997 - 100mm Travel : about 1800-1900gr

Current Z1 from 2020 - 160mm Travel: 2245 g

Re: Re:

kraeMit":1fwne3s0 said:
FluffyChicken":1fwne3s0 said:
But they're modern things and you're in a retro area, we've only just have V-brakes in here and the Marzocchi Bomber had just been born along with the Rockshox SID.

Objection, Your Honor!

Bombers had been born in 1996 and in 1997 they became a legend ... and we have also hydraulic brakes and lots of early disc brake types in the 90's also!
There are parts which are non-breakable, like the Maguras HS33 and others. Not al of the pseudo modern sh## is better.

:)

That's still only just :), the same year we gained V-brakes!

And while a proper disc tab had only just been added, not the quality bodge on XC and Mag braces (the XC was a cool fix though) the mounts varied from year to year and company to company.

.... Anyway, what do you know about Bombers, they're too new for you I though ;-)

kraeMit":t6d5pcqb said:
Retro Spud":t6d5pcqb said:
Marzocchi Z1 and 2’s work well but are boat anchor heavy...

Old Z1 from 1997 - 100mm Travel : about 1800-1900gr

Current Z1 from 2020 - 160mm Travel: 2245 g

But compared to the SID which was in the shops at the end of 1997, that is a boat anchor (more travel yes) it SID are about 1200g and you can tune them much easier, just need a football pump :)

And it's lighter than a modern 2021 top of the range SID by about 150g.
OK so it may work better, wouldn't be hard, and have to deal with big tyres and larger wheels and have more travel and fatter headset, big axles, and be a lot stiffer and..
But it's heavier still! who want that.

FluffyChicken":2pv98tp8 said:
kraeMit":2pv98tp8 said:
FluffyChicken":2pv98tp8 said:

.... Anyway, what do you know about Bombers, they're too new for you I though ;-)

:xmas-big-grin: :xmas-big-grin:
I'm in the 30mm Bombers also now with seals and tools, as I drive 2 Z1 myself and want to do higher level rebuilding for the early Z1/Z2s.
By accident I have currently about 20x Z1 and Z2 (and some others) which like to be back on the road ;-)

Re:

I currently have a marzocchi bomber BAM Z2 on my Kona Explosif - not the highest spec fork but bombproof reliable and plush as you like.
Also Rock Shox Recon 351 on my Airborne Lucky Strike - this has pop-lock and also U-turn function allowing for height adjustment (80-120mm ish). Can’t fault it.
I’d steer clear of elastomer forks tbh, just my preference, don’t expect super duper modern performance from something 20 years old - you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what this sort of stuff will cope with..

Re:

Ok, thanks to all. Looking at a Rock Shox recon with posts, new on Ebay. $300 US after shipping. Seems like a way better decision than buying the (Used) purple Marzocchi XC500s from seller in Germany. It would have been an impulsive purchase at $400 before shipping that would have afforded me little more than bling, and yet I still can’t get em off my mind.
Cheers

staytong":mk3e1hsf said:
Seems like a way better decision than buying the (Used) purple Marzocchi XC500s from seller in Germany. It would have been an impulsive purchase at $400 before shipping that would have afforded me little more than bling, and yet I still can’t get em off my mind.
Cheers

But the XC500 from Germany is a full rebuild: New stanchions, new insite parts, new seals, steerer of your choice ;-) ;-)

Back